2021 U.S. OLYMPIC SWIMMING TRIALS
- Wave I Dates: June 4-7, 2021
- Wave II Dates: June 13-20, 2021
- Prelims: 10am CDT | Finals: 7pm CDT
- Where: CHI Health Center / Omaha, Nebraska
- 2021 U.S. Olympic Trials Qualifying Cuts
- Wave I & II Event Order
- LCM (50m)
- Day 3 Finals Live Stream
- Psych Sheets
- Wave II Live Results
- Day 3 Finals Heat Sheet
MEN’S 100 BACK FINAL
- World Record: Ryan Murphy (USA) – 51.85 (2016)
- American Record: Ryan Murphy (USA) – 51.85 (2016)
- US Open Record: Aaron Peirsol (USA) – 51.94 (2009)
- World Junior Record: Kliment Kolesnikov (RUS) – 52.53 (2018)
- 2016 Olympic Champion: Ryan Murphy (USA) – 51.97
- 2016 US Olympic Trials Champion: Ryan Murphy – 52.26
- Wave I Cut: 56.59
- Wave II Cut: 55.51
- FINA ‘A’ Cut: 53.85
Ohio State’s Hunter Armstrong touched 2nd in the men’s 100 backstroke final tonight, in all likelihood making himself the first Ohio State swimmer to make the U.S. Olympic Team in a very, very long time. Armstrong used the fastest 2nd 50 in the field to get the job done, nearly running down Ryan Murphy, the World Record-holder.
Armstrong flipped 7th at the 50m mark (25.73), and then barely slowed down on the 2nd length, splitting 26.75, which was the only sub-27 split in the field. The final time, 52.48, also marked another best time for Armstrong, who seems to improve every time he races.
He’s dropped an incredible amount of time in the LCM 100 back just in 2021. Armstrong started the year with a lifetime best of 54.74, and has already whittled that down to 52.48, an improvement of 2.26 seconds.
Armstrong is now the #5 performer all-time in U.S. history, moving up from 7th, which is where his semifinals swim landed him. Here is the current list of top 5 Americans all-time in the men’s 100 back:
Armstrong remains the #5 swimmer in the world this year:
|RUS||52.12||04/05||2021 RUSSIAN NATIONAL SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS
|USA||52.22||06/14||2021 U.S. OLYMPIC SWIMMING TRIALS
|RUS||52.24||04/05||2021 RUSSIAN NATIONAL SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS
|CHN||52.35||03/07||CHINESE SWIMMING MEET – ZHAOQING
|USA||52.48||06/14||2021 U.S. OLYMPIC SWIMMING TRIALS
The 20-year-old is coming off a very successful season with the Buckeyes, in which he swam personal bests in the SCY 50 free, 100 free, 50 back, and 100 back.