USA Swimming has named 1,087 swimmers to its 2019-2020 Scholastic All-America Team, which includes 562 girls and 525 boys.
In order for a swimmer to earn the honor, they must meet several academic and athletic standards.
This year, the team is headlined by US National Team Member Torri Huske, who was recognized for having a perfect 4.0 GPA in addition to her first place finish in the 100m butterfly at the US Open, which served as this year’s National Championship.
2019-2020 USA Junior National Team Members Who Were Named Scholastic All-Americans
|Abby Arens||John Alexy|
|Elsie Barer||Jackson Carlile|
|Lucy Bell||Matthew Fallon|
|Micayla Cronk||Matthew Fenlon|
|Annabel Crush||Sawyer Grimes|
|Claire Curzan||Ethan Heasley|
|Mariah Denigan||Kenneth Lloyd|
|Isabel Gromley||Jake Magahey|
|Tess Howley||James Plage|
|Lydia Jacoby||Peter Thompson|
- Grade completion requirement – applicant must have completed 9th, 10th 11th or 12th grade
- GPA Requirement – minimum 3.5 GPA for the current academic year A=4, B=3, C=2. If numerical grades are used, the following scale will be used unless the school’s letter grade conversion is given on the transcript: A=90-100; B=80-89; C=70-79. In calculating the GPA no rounding will be used – one decimal place only.
- Honors, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, PLTW courses, and dual credit college level academic courses will earn one half (.5) extra Grade Point.
- Grades for academic subjects only are calculated – history/social studies, English, mathematics, sciences, foreign languages, computer sciences, visual and performing arts if indicated as academic.
- A grade lower than a C in an academic subject will mean automatic rejection of the applicant. Grades for non-academic courses – art, band, orchestra, choir, home economics, health, driver education, physical education, shop, etc. and any other class marked as non-academic will not be included in the GPA calculation (unless transcript indicates ‘academic’ or AP or IB).
- There will be no special status designation for a 4.0 GPA other than for a national champion who also has a 4.0 GPA.
- Applicants must have swum an individual pool time equal to or faster than the 2019 Winter Junior qualifying time in any individual event during the SAA qualifying period (August 16, 2019 – August 31, 2020) with the qualifying times in SWIMS. Only ONE time is necessary and only ONE application is necessary.
- Applicants must have competed in one of the following meets:
- 2019 USA Paralympic Swimming Nationals – December 6-8, 2019, Lewisville, TX
- 2020 Jimi Flowers Classic – January 18-19, 2020, Colorado Springs, CO
- 2020 World Para World Series – February 14-16, 2020, Melbourne, Australia
In July, USA Swimming announced that it would be extending the qualification period for the team, moving the deadline to August 31, 2020 due to changes in the competition schedule as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
Despite the changes made to accommodate for the pandemic, the number of athletes named to the Scholastic All-American Team is down significantly from the 1634 athletes named last year.
|Seniors with 3 Years of Selections||148|
|Central Zone Athletes||246|
|Eastern Zone Athletes||246|
|Southern Zone Athletes||347|
|Western Zone Athletes||248|
|Top LSCs||Top Clubs|
|North Carolina Swimming (101)||
SwimMAC North Carolina-NC (29)
|Florida Swimming (67)||
Nation’s Capitol Swim Club-PV (28)
|Southern California Swimming (61)||
Dynamo Swim Club-GA (23)
|Georgia Swimming (48)||
TAC Titans-NC (19)
|Potomac Valley Swimming (44)||
Bellevue Club Swim Team-PN (14)