12-time Olympic medalist in swimming Ryan Lochte will join the cast of Celebrity Big Brother Season 2 beginning on January 21st, 2019 on CBS. He will join a cast of 12 celebrities living in the Big Brother house under constant surveillance with no contact to the outside world.
A spin-off of the regular Big Brother series, the first season of Celebrity Big Brother aired in 2018, ironically as counterprogramming to the Winter Olympic Games. A house is filled with 94 high-definition cameras and 113 microphones to monitor and record the contestants.
The celebrity version of the show does not run as long as the regular Big Brother seasons – running just 2 weeks instead of 3 months, and unlike a regular season, contestants are allowed to return to the real world after being eliminated, rather than sequestered to maintain the surprise of the show. In reality-show-meets-social-experiment style, the 12 competitors are one-by-one ‘evicted’ from the house and placed on a jury, which then decides the final winner of the show. In season 1, contestants were vying for a $250,000 prize, though the prize for season 2 has not yet been announced.
Lochte isn’t the only Olympian on the show: Lolo Jones, who has represented the United States at both the Summer Olympics and Winter Olympics, and is a former World Champion both in the 60 meter hurdles and in the mixed bobsled team event, will also be a HouseGuest.
Lochte, at 34-years old, is the second-youngest contestant on the show. He’s no stranger to reality television – in 2013, he had his own reality television show on E!, which was not renewed for a 2nd season.
Since the 2016 Olympic Games, Lochte’s swimming career has come to a screeching halt. After the infamous Rio gas station incident resulted in a 10-month suspension, Lochte returned to competition in 2018 only to be suspended again, this time for 14 months for violating anti-doping rules by receiving an IV vitamin drip.
Lochte and his wife, Kayla Reid, welcomed their first child in June of 2017, and are currently expecting a second child.
12 Contestants on Celebrity Big Brother, Season 2:
- Anthony Scaramucci, 55 – former White House Communications Director
- Dina Lohan, 56 – Mother/manager of actress Lindsay Lohan
- Joey Lawrence, 42 – actor & television producer of Melissa & Joey, Blossom, and Brotherly Love fame
- Jonathan Bennett, 37 – actor and television host of Cheaper by the Dozen 2 and Mean Girls fame, which won him 2 Teen Choice Award nominations
- Kandi Burruss, 42 – Grammy-winning songwriter and cast-member of The Real Housewives of Atlanta
- Kato Kaelin, 59 – Actor
- Lolo Jones, 36 – United States Summer (track & field) and winter (bobsled) Olympian
- Natalie Eva Marie, 34 – Former WWE Diva (professional wrestling) and actress
- Ricky Williams, 41 – Former NFL running-back, former NCAA Division 1-A career rushing leader. Miami Dolphins Record holder for most rushing yards (1,853) and rushing touchdowns (16) in a season
- Ryan Lochte, 34 – 4-time U.S. Olympian (swimming), 6-time Olympic gold medalist, 12-time Olympic medalist, 39-time World Champion, one of the most-decorated swimmers in history
- Tamar Braxton, 41 – 4-time Grammy Award-nominated singer and songwriter, 3-time Soul Train Music Award winner, 1-time BET Award winner, reality television personality (Braxton Family Values)
- Tom Green, 47 – Comedian and actor who hit his peak popularity around the year 2000.