2017 CHINESE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Olympic medalists Fu Yuanhui and Xu Jiayu gave China a great showing in the 100 back on day 4 of the 2017 Chinese Nationals. Fu tore through the water en route to a new Chinese National Record, winning the 100 back in 58.72 ahead of Chen Jie (59.43). That cleared her own former record of 58.76 from the 2016 Rio Olympics and makes her the 3rd fastest performer in the world this year behind Canada’s Kylie Masse (58.21) and Australia’s Emily Seebohm (58.62).
Jiayu shredded the field in the men’s race, missing the World Record by the slimmest possible margin. His 51.86 took down the former Asian Record held by Japan’s Ryosuke Irie (52.24), and just missed Ryan Murphy‘s (USA) World Record of 51.85 by a hundredth of a second. This was Jiayu’s first time clearing 52 seconds, as his former Chinese Record stood at a 52.31 from the Rio Olympics. He’s now just the 3rd man to ever break the barrier and the 2nd fastest performer in history, surpassing USA backstroke legend Aaron Peirsol (51.94).
Another Chinese National Record went down in the prelim heats courtesy of Yan Zibei. After winning the 100 breast on day 2, Zibei returned for the 50 breast today. He popped a 27.36 in prelims, slipping under the former National Record of 27.38 done by Gu Biaorong in 2013. Zibei was just off the mark in semifinals, touching in 27.38.
Olympic champion Sun Yang once again established his place at the top of the world rankings, this time in the 200 free. He came within a half second of his own Asian Record, touching in 1:44.91 to dominate the field as he was followed by Wang Shun (1:46.57) and Ji Xinjie (1:47.98). Sun remains #1 in the world, beating his 1:46.11 from yesterday’s semifinals, while Wang moved up to #3 in the world behind Italy’s Gabriele Detti (1:46.38).
DAY 3 MEDALISTS
- Men 200 Free- Sun Yang 1:44.91, Wang Shun 1:46.57, Ji Xinjie 1:47.98
- Women 1500 Free- Hou Yawen 16:13.37, Chen Yejie 16:19.80, Xin Xin 16:27.54
- Women 100 Back- Fu Yuanhui 58.72, Chen Jie 59.43, Wang Xeer 1:00.13
- Men 100 Back- Xu Jiayu 51.86, Li Guangyuan 53.61, Hu Yixuan 54.51
- Women 100 Breast- Shi Jinglin 1:06.94, Zhang Xinyu 1:08.05, Liu Xiaoyu 1:08.49
DAY 3 SEMIFINALS TOP 3
- Men 200 Fly- Li Zhuhao 1:56.37, Yu Yingbiao 1:58.14, Wang Zhou 1:58.37
- Women 200 Free- Ai Yanhan 1:56.88, Li Bingjie 1:56.93, Liu Zixuan 1:57.30
- Men 50 Breast- Yan Zibei 27.38, Wang Lizhuo 27.52, Li Xiang 27.55