2017 CHINESE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Chinese butterfly stud Li Zhuhao headlined day 2 of the 2017 Chinese National Championships with his 50 fly performance. Zhuhao, a 2016 Olympic 100 fly finalist, blasted a 23.36 to become the 3rd fastest performer in the world this year. With that, he took down the Chinese National Record, which previously stodd at a 23.37 done by Yu Hexin in 2015.
We also saw a standout butterfly performance on the women’s side, as Yufei Zhang brought home gold in the 100 fly final. Zhang rocked a 57.63 to win the gold ahead of Lu Ying (57.98), knocking a few tenths off her previous lifetime best 57.95 from the 2014 Youth Olympics. That time makes Zhang the 5th fastest 100 butterflier in the world this year.
After a rocky 2015-16 season, 2012 Olympic champ Ye Shiwen was looking better today. Shiwen turned in a 2:11.66 in the 200 IM, beating out Zhang Sishi (2:12.82) for the gold. That’s still a ways off her peak form, as she’s been as fast as a 2:07.57 in the event from her gold-winning performance at the London Olympics.
Fellow Olympic champ Sun Yang cruised to the top spot in the men’s 200 free. Yang led the semifinals by over a second after touching in 1:46.11. Yang is now the fastest man of 2017 in the event after surpassing Italy’s Gabriele Detti, who put up a 1:46.38 at the 2017 Italian National Championships. In tomorrow night’s final, he’ll be challenged by Wang Shun (1:47.24) and Ji Xinjie (1:48.61), who will swim on either side of him as the 2nd and 3rd seeds.
Day 2 Medalists
- Men 100 Breast Final: Yan Zibei 59.28, Li Xiang 59.84, Wang Lizhuo 59.98
- Women 100 Fly Final: Zhang Yufei 57.63, Lu Ying 57.98, Zhou Yilin 58.34
- Men 50 Fly Final: Li Zhuhao 23.36, Shi Yang 23.67, Zhou Jiawei 23.91
- Women 200 IM Final: Ye Shiwen 2:11.66, Zhang Sishi 2:12.82, Zhang Jiaqi 2:12.87
Day 2 Semifinals Top 3
- Men 100 Back Semis: Li Guangyuan 53.79, Xu Jiayu 54.43, He Jianbing 55.16
- Women 100 Breast Semis: Yu Jingyao 1:08.23, Zhang Xinyu 1:08.45, Shi Jinglin 1:08.53
- Women 100 Back Semis: Chen Jie 1:00.11, Wang Xueer 1:00.15, Fu Yuanhui 1:00.37
- Men 200 Free Semis: Sun Yang 1:46.11, Wang Shun 1:47.24, Ji Xinjie 1:48.61