2019 Speedo Champions Series- Cleveland
- July 18-21, 2019
- Cleveland State University-Busbey Natatorium
- Cleveland, OH
- Meet Info
- Meet Mobile: 2019LE Speedo Sectionals at Cleveland State
The record-breaking streak at the Cleveland Sectionals continues with 4 more sectional records taken down during the second finals session.
The first meet record was dominated in the women’s 50 back, where the top 3 swimmers all swam under the former mark of 29.87. Winning the event was Casey Chung of Club Wolverine with a 28.97, followed shortly by Ohio State’s Nyah Funderbuke (29.32) and Rebekah Bradley (29.49).
All three swimmers moved up in the national rankings, with Chung #23, Funderbuke #35, and Bradley #44. For 17-year-old Chung and 16-year-old Funderbuke, the duo now rank 11th and 17th respectively for all 18&U swimmers in the nation this year.
The second meet record was set minutes after the women’s 50 back with the men’s event. Hunter Armstrong (named Joseph Armstrong in SWIMS) won the event with a 25.66, just missing his season best and US #11 time of 25.51. The former meet record of 26.35 was also eclipsed by runner-up Colin McDermott of Ohio State, putting up a 26.08 to rank 24th in the US. Another Buckeye, Robert Kondalski, took third with a 26.46 and is now 36th in the nation.
The mayhem continued into the women’s 200 free where winner Georgia White led an Ohio State 1-2-3 finish with a 2:01.86, knocking down the 2:02.12 sectional record. White was followed by teammates Lucija Jurkovic-Perisa (2:03.52) and Nicole Fye (2:04.21).
White and Jurkovic-Perisa were joined by Ohio State teammates Taylor Petrak and Freya Rayner in the women’s 400 free relay to set the fourth sectional record of the day. Their winning time of 3:48.16 took down the former record of 3:49.21. The Club Wolverine A and B relays rounded out the top 3 finishers.
More Day 2 Highlights:
- Ohio State’s Ruslan Gaziev won his second individual event of the meet in a narrow 200 free victory. Gaziev winning time of 1:52.73 just held off Bearcats’ Din Selmanovic by 0.01s.
- Michael Schwers (Unattached) and Alex Dillmann (Ohio State) tied to win the men’s 100 fly, both swimming a time of 54.42.
- Bearcat Aquatics’ Anhelina Kutsko won the women’s 100 fly with a lifetime best of 1:01.07.
- SwimStrongsville’s Felicia Pasadyn (4:52.11) defeated Ohio State WUGs medalist Molly Kowal (4:53.80) in the women’s 400 IM finals.
- Club Wolverine’s Bora Unalmis won the men’s 400 IM with a time of 4:28.37, nearly half a second ahead of teammate David Cleason (4:28.92).
- After the women’s 400 free relay, the Ohio State men closed out the session with a win in the 400 free relay. The team of Loy, Pohlmann, Delakis, and Gaziev won with a top time of 3:27.30.
Team Scores After Day Two:
Top 3 Men’s Teams
- Ohio State Swim Club- 443 points
- Club Wolverine- 249 points
- Bearcat Aquatics- 205.50 points
Top 3 Women’s Teams
- Club Wolverine- 557 points
- Ohio State Swim Club- 480 points
- Hudson Explorer Aquatic Team- 167 points
Top 3 Combined Teams
- Ohio State Swim Club- 923 points
- Club Wolverine- 806 points
- Oly Swimming- 267.50 points