In the SwimSwam Podcast dive deeper into the sport you love with insider conversations about swimming. Hosted by Coleman Hodges and Gold Medal Mel Stewart, SwimSwam welcomes both the biggest names in swimming that you already know, and rising stars that you need to get to know, as we break down the past, present, and future of aquatic sports.
Three-time Olympic Champion and NBC Sports Voice of Swimming, Rowdy Gaines, has the dream job. Who wouldn’t want a front-row-center seat at the Olympic Games? The 2021 Olympic Games (and the U.S. Olympic Trials) will mark Rowdy’s 8th turn in the chair.
What I want to know is what’s it really like? I have an idea. I’ve subbed for Rowdy before, but only for small competitions. I know it’s intense, days starting at 5am and ending, sometimes, after midnight. Thankful, ahead of the Olympic Games in Tokyo, Rowdy shares some details in this SwimSwam Podcast.
Rowdy also addresses the elephant in the room. Rowdy is well aware his commentary is not for us, the Swim Nerds. Rowdy’s working for NBC. He’s under direct instructions to call the races for the non-swimming audience, that fan that drops in once every four years. “I have to have a moment where I explain the backstroke flags,” Rowdy laughed. “I do it on every Olympic telecast.”
Rowdy, of course, loves the television gig and he shares a lot of insights:
- his day-in-the-life from the Rio Olympics
- how he goes to the bathroom during live telecasts
- a few funny mistakes over the years
- when he’s gotten the giggles during live telecasts
- how he tries to manage four people talking in his ear while he’s commentating
- and he shares his thoughts on how COVID will impact the Olympics
SWIMSWAM PODCAST LINKS
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Spotify
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Podbean
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Google
- Click here to listen and subscribe on YouTube
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Listen Notes
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Stitcher
- Click here to listen and subscribe on iHeartRadio
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Amazon
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Pandora
Music: Otis McDonald
Opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of the interviewed guests do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs, and viewpoints of the hosts, SwimSwam Partners, LLC and/or SwimSwam advertising partners.