Date posted: May 12, 2021
Location: Worcester, MA, USA
Assistant Coach – Men and Women’s Swimming
ABOUT COLLEGE OF THE HOLY CROSS:
Founded in 1843 in Worcester, Massachusetts, the College of the Holy Cross is among the nation’s leading liberal arts institutions. A highly selective, four-year, exclusively undergraduate college of 3,100 students, Holy Cross is renowned for offering a rigorous, personalized education in the Jesuit, Catholic tradition.
Holy Cross highly values the unique skills, perspective, talents and passion that each employee contributes to its learning community. To work at The College is to accept an invitation to participate in the growth and development of all campus members, students, faculty and staff. The College’s commitment to diversity is an important feature of the Holy Cross education. Informed by the presence of diverse interpretations of the human experience, Holy Cross is building a community marked by freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support our values of diversity and inclusiveness. Job candidates of all diverse backgrounds who embrace the open and inclusive culture of Holy Cross are welcome and encouraged to apply.
Assist Head Coach with all facets of the Swimming and Diving program, primarily by: instructing student-athletes on competitive swimming skills and techniques, educating on swimming and diving rules and NCAA requirements, assessing comprehension of skills, techniques and rules and providing additional instruction as appropriate, and preparing team for competition and practice.
Assistant coach must perform duties in compliance with all College, Patriot League, and NCAA rules and regulations.
Primary Responsibilities (60%):
Provide individual and team instruction to student-athletes on:
- rules & fundamentals
- skill attainment
- techniques and methods required to demonstrate satisfactory performance in a safe manner
- team concepts
Provide individualized coaching/tutoring/mentoring to student-athletes, including preparatory work that includes:
- assessing student-athlete stroke technique demonstrated during practice, competition, and in on deck video review
- determining specific daily practice activities that will be conducted by student-athletes
- developing instruction for individual student-athletes and specific team needs
- determining pre-competition activities that will be conducted during days of competition
- developing race strategies with individual swimmers
- attending workshops and training sessions for the purpose of researching methods to provide student-athletes with training and instruction on: rules, fundamentals, team concepts, physical health, safety, skill attainment, conference rules and regulations
Secondary responsibilities (40%)
- identifying talented, academically qualified prospective student-athletes
- contacting (email, phone, mail, social media) prospective student-athletes, family, and coaches
- arranging campus visits for recruits
- developing recruiting materials
Administrative duties as assigned, including, but not limited to (10%):
- collaborating with coach to develop annual goals for the program
- maintaining records
- effectively communicating with coaches, prospects and parents
- tracking academic progress and providing counseling as appropriate
- assisting with fundraising, marketing and promotional activities
- arranging travel
- inventory and ordering of equipment/gear
- coordinating social media
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Prior experience instructing and coaching, preferably at the Division I level
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills required
- Proficiency working with HyTek Team/MeetManager programs
- CPR, First Aid, AED, and Life Guarding certifications
- Knowledge of Daktronics timing system and scoreboard operation a plus
- ?Proficiency with social media (Instagram, twitter, facebook)
- Skills that are required for this job and are in line with the College’s mission:
- Instructional/teaching skills; understanding of a variety of instructional methods
- Ability to demonstrate skills and techniques during practice sessions, in order for student-athletes to learn through observation
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Flexibility and reliability; position requires travel work on nights and weekends.
- Understands risk management and works in conjunction with Sports Medicine and Strength and Conditioning personnel to uphold health and safety standards in the conduct of all activities
- Strong teamwork and team facilitation
- Supports departmental efforts through collaborative measures and sharing knowledge with others
- Understands, values and respects diversity within the team and fosters an inclusive and supportive environment
This is a full time, exempt level position.
The College of the Holy Cross is a private, Jesuit Catholic, undergraduate institution serving approximately 3,100 students. Founded in 1843, Holy Cross is the oldest Catholic college in New England and has a tradition of academic excellence. It is located atop Mount Saint James in Worcester, Massachusetts. The picturesque, 174-acre campus is an award-winning and registered arboretum.
Worcester is a city of approximately 170,000 people centrally located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It is approximately one hour from Boston, Hartford, and Providence, and three hours from New York City. Worcester is known as the Heart of the Commonwealth. Worcester offers many cultural and recreational opportunities.
The College is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and complies with all Federal and Massachusetts laws concerning Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action in the workplace.
A member of the Higher Education Consortium of Central Massachusetts (HECCMA).
To review our Employee Benefit Options, please go to: https://www.holycross.edu/human-resources/benefits
Please attach a cover letter addressing the position requirements along with your resume.
In your cover letter please address how your work might support the College’s mission as a Jesuit, undergraduate liberal arts college (see http://www.holycross.edu/mission) and its core commitment to diversity and inclusion. Please provide examples of any past work that illuminate your commitments in these areas. For more information, please visit http://holycross.edu/diversity.
Review of applications will begin as received and continue until the position has been filled.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/2259099