2023 WORLD AQUATICS CHAMPIONSHIPS
- July 23 to 30, 2023
- Fukuoka, Japan
- Marine Messe Fukuoka
- LCM (50m)
- WORLD CHAMPS WATCH PARTY – DAILY
- Meet Central
- SwimSwam Preview Index
- Entry Book
- Live Results (Omega)
- Day 1 Prelims Live Recap | Day 1 Finals Live Recap
- Day 2 Prelims Live Recap | Day 2 Finals Live Recap
- Day 3 Prelims Live Recap | Day 3 Finals Live Recap
- Day 4 Prelims Live Recap | Day 4 Finals Live Recap
- Day 5 Prelims Live Recap | Day 5 Finals Live Recap
- Day 6 Prelims Live Recap | Day 6 Finals Live Recap
WOMEN’S 50 BUTTERLY — SEMIFINALS
- World Record: 24.43 — Sarah Sjostrom, Sweden (2014)
- Championship Record: 24.60 — Sarah Sjostrom, Sweden (2017)
- World Junior Record: 25.46 — Rikako Ikee, Japan (2017)
- 2022 Winning Time: 24.95 — Sarah Sjostrom, Sweden
- 2022 Time to Final: 25.75
In the semi-finals of the women’s 50-meter butterfly at the 2023 World Championships, Zhang Yufei swam a time of 25.17 to break her own Chinese record. Her previous record had been a 25.32, which she swam at both the 2023 Chinese National Championships and the 2022 World Championships.
Zhang is now tied with France’s Melanie Henique as the fifth-fastest performer of all-time in the women’s 50 fly.
All-Time Top Performers, Women’s 50-Meter Butterfly:
- Sarah Sjostrom, Sweden — 24.43 (2014)
- Therese Alshammar, Sweden — 25.07 (2009)
- Rikako Ikee, Japan (2018)/Gretchen Walsh, United States (2023) —25.11
- Melanie Henique, France (2021)/Zhang Yufei, China (2023) — 25.17
Headed into finals, Zhang will be in lane 5 right next to world record holder Sarah Sjostrom. Although Sjostrom is the heavy favorite to win, Zhang will be in a very strong position to take silver if she replicates her semi-finals time.
Earlier in the meet, Zhang took gold in the women’s 100 fly as well as the mixed medley relay.