2019 FINA WORLD AQUATICS CHAMPIONSHIPS
- All sports: Friday, July 12 – Sunday, July 28, 2019
- Pool swimming: Sunday, July 21 – Sunday, July 28, 2019
- The Nambu University Municipal Aquatics Center, Gwangju, Korea
- Meet site
- Competition Schedule
- FinaTV Live Stream
- Entry Lists
Reported by Lauren Neidigh.
WOMEN’S 200 BACKSTROKE – SEMIFINALS
- World Record:
Missy Franklin (United States), 2012, 2:04.06
- World Junior Record:
Regan Smith (United States), 2019, 2:06.01
- World Championships Record:
Missy Franklin (United States), 2013, 2:04.76
- 2017 Defending World Champion: Emily Seebohm (Australia), 2:05.68
- Regan Smith (USA), 2:03.35
- Kylie Masse (CAN), 2:06.57
- Margherita Panziera (ITA), 2:06.62
- Minna Atherton (AUS), 2:07.38
- Katinka Hosszu (HUN), 2:07.48
- Kaylee McKeown (AUS), 2:08.19
- Taylor Ruck (CAN), 2:08.42
- Katalin Burian (HUN), 2:09.40
The USA’s teenage standout Regan Smith broke the World Junior Record in prelims, but tonight she went straight for the World Record. Smith knocked almost 3 seconds off her lifetime best, blowing away the World Record in 2:03.35. That took down Missy Franklin’s former mark of 2:04.06 from her Olympic performance in 2012, making Smith the first woman to ever break 2:04. She touched the wall in her heat over 3 seconds ahead of Canada’s 100 back champion Kylie Masse (2:06.57).
Italy’s Margherita Panziera, who became the 5th fastest performer in history earlier this year, touched just behind Masse in 2:06.62. Winning the first semifinal heat was Australia’s Minna Atherton (2:07.38), a tenth ahead of Hungary’s Katinka Hosszu, the 200 IM champion here and an Olympic medalist in this race. Australia, Canada, and Hungary will all have 2 in the final. Kaylee McKeown (2:08.19) qualified 6th for the Aussies. Canada’s Taylor Ruck (2:08.42) and Hungary’s Katalin Burian rounded out the top 8.
One spot shy of the final was the USA’s Kathleen Baker in 2:09.68. Baker returned to competition this week after dealing with a rib injury this season, but hasn’t made the individual podium at this meet.