2019 South American Male Swimmer of the Year: Bruno Fratus, Brazil
At his first meet back at the 2019 Plantation Sectionals meet, Fratus put up a 22.15 in the 50 free, his signature event. Three months later at the Monaco stop of the Mare Nostrum series, Fratus put up a world-leading 50 free time (at the time) with a 21.31, the second-fastest swim of his career (LTB 21.27).
- Watch the race video here
Just a month later heading into the 2019 World championships, Fratus was primed to defend his silver medal position in the 50 free behind American Caeleb Dressel. During the event final, Fratus was successful in defending his silver medal, tying with Greek Kristian Gkolomeev.
Less than 2 weeks after his Worlds performance, Fratus hopped into the 2019 Pan Ams pool to win the 50 free against Americans Nathan Adrian and Michael Chadwick. Fratus also was a member of the winning 400 free relay with countrymen Breno Correia, Marcelo Chierighini, and Pedro Spajari, earning another Pan Ams gold medal.
in no particular order
- Fernando Scheffer, Brazil — Scheffer was a crucial member of the Brazilian Pan Ams squad, hauling in 2 medals (1G, 1S) and contributing to the winning 800 free relay. Just 2 weeks at the 2019 Worlds, Scheffer was a member of the South American record-breaking 800 free relay.
- Guilherme Costa, Brazil — After earning Pan Ams gold in the 1500 free, Costa broke out at the 2019 U.S. Open meet. After the meet, Costa broke 3 distance South American records in the 400 free (3:46.57), 800 free (7:47.37), and 1500 free (14:55.49).
- Guilherme Guido, Brazil — During the second half of 2019, Guido broke out on the scene as one of the top sprint backstrokers heading into the 2020 Olympics. At the 2019 Pan Ams, Guido picked up an individual silver (100 BK) and contributed to the runner-up men’s 400 medley relay. Shortly after signing with ISL’s London Roar, Guido became a powerful asset with an 87.5% winning rate, the 3rd-best in the entire ISL.
All 2019 Men’s South American Records
- 400 Free: Guilherme Costa (BRA), 3:46.57
- 800 Free: Guilherme Costa (BRA), 7:47.37
- 1500 Free: Guilherme Costa (BRA), 14:55.49
- 50 Back (SCM): Guilherme Guido (BRA), 22.55
- 50 Breast: Felipe Lima (BRA), 26.33
- 50 Fly: Nicholas Santos (BRA), 22.60
- 800 Free Relay: Melo, Scheffer, de Lucca, Correia (BRA), 7:07.12