2016 MEN’S PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Wednesday, March 2nd- Saturday, March 5th
- Prelims 11AM | Finals 6PM (Pacific Time)
- Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center, Federal Way, WA
- Defending Champion: USC Trojans (Results)
- Live Results
- Psych Sheet
- Championship Central
Stanford holds the team lead as we head into day 3 prelims, 46 points ahead of USC. The Trojans will look to fight back and get their swimmers into the best positions in finals. Today we’ll see the 100s fly, back, and breast, as well as the 400 IM and 200 free, highlighted by some big names like Andrew Seliskar, Justin Lynch, and Reed Malone.
Men’s 400 IM:
Stanford’s Curtis Ogren swam to a 3:40.79 this morning, bettering his previous best of 3:41 from last season’s Pac-12 meet. That time gave him the top seed for the final. Ogren will be joined by 3 Cardinal teammates in the race tongiht. Abrahm DeVine took 2nd overall in 3:42.57, Max Williamson tied for the 3rd seed in 3:43.27, and Danny Thomson took 6th in 3:44.73.
Cal got 3 in, led by Andrew Seliskar (3:43.27) who tied Williamson for 3rd overall. Connor Green (3:44.01) and Ken Takahashi (3:45.79) were 5th and 7th, respectively. 8th went to USC’s Patrick Mulcare in 3:46.24.
Notably, Arizona’s Nick Thorne was disqualified out of his prelims heat. Thorne was the 2nd seed in this event coming into the meet.
- Curtis Ogren, Stanford- 3:40.79
- Abrahm DeVine, Stanford- 3:42.57
- Andrew Seliskar, Cal- 3:43.27
- Max Williamson, Stanford- 3:43.27
- Connor Green, Cal- 3:44.01
- Danny Thomson, Stanford- 3:44.73
- Ken Takahashi, Cal- 3:45.79
- Patrick Mulcare, USC- 3:46.24
Men’s 100 Fly:
Cal’s Justin Lynch raced to a new career best in the men’s 100 fly this morning, taking the top seed in 45.62. Lynch was the only swimmer under 46 this morning, but USC’s Alex Valente came close to getting under the mark as well with a 46.05 for 2nd seed. Arizona’s Renny Richmond was 3rd overall in 46.17.
Stanford’s Connor Black touched in 46.28 to claim the 4th spot for tonight’s championship final. He’ll be joined by teammates Andrew Liang (46.39) and Gray Umbach (46.47), who took 6th and 8th. That sets Stanford up to take a big points total in this event.
Cal’s Long Gutierrez gave the Golden Bears another swimmer in the final, taking 5th in 46.28. ASU’s Tadas Duskinas clocked a 46.40 to get the Sun Devils some representation tonight.
- Justin Lynch, Cal- 45.62
- Alex Valente, USC- 46.05
- Renny Richmond, Arizona- 46.17
- Connor Black, Stanford- 46.28
- Long Gutierrez, Cal- 46.29
- Andrew Liang, Stanford- 46.39
- Tadas Duskinas, ASU- 46.40
- Gray Umbach, Stanford- 46.47
Men’s 200 Free:
USC’s Reed Malone came out on top of the men’s 200 free prelims, taking 1st seed for finals in a quick 1:33.55. Behind Malone, a pair of Cal swimmers took the 2nd and 3rd seeds. Long Gutierrez, who was fresh out of the 100 fly just one event earlier, touched in 1:34.29 ahead of Trent Williams (1:34.65).
Stanford’s Liam Egan, who took silver behind Malone in the 500 last night, was 4th in 1:34.75. Arizona’s Ricky Maestri (1:34.81) and Utah’s Bence Kiraly (1:34.81) also clipped the 1:35 barrier for 5th and 6th. Cal’s Kyle Coan (1:35.21) and USC’s Michael Domagala (1:35.22) rounded out the top 8.
- Reed Malone, USC- 1:33.55
- Long Gutierrez, Cal- 1:34.29
- Trent Williams, Cal- 1:34.65
- Liam Egan, Stanford- 1:34.75
- Ricky Maestri, Arizona- 1:34.81
- Bence Kiraly, Utah- 1:34.94
- Kyle Coan, Cal- 1:35.21
- Michael Domagala, USC- 1:35.22
Men’s 100 Breast:
USC’s Carsten Vissering and Arizona’s Blair Bish threw down to take the top 2 spots in the 100 breast this morning. The 2 freshman were the only swimmers under 53 in prelims, with Vissering clocking a 52.50 and Bish touching in 52.66.
Vissering’s teammates David Morgan (53.06) and Steven Stumph (53.28) swam their way to qualifying 3rd and 7th. Cal’s Carson Sand (53.14) and Connor Hoppe (53.24) were 4th and 6th, respectively. Arizona’s Gage Crosby sits between them at 5th in 53.24. ASU’s Christian Lorenz (53.28) tied Stumph for 7th.
- Carsten Vissering, USC- 52.50
- Blair Bish, Arizona- 52.66
- David Morgan, USC- 53.06
- Carson Sand, Cal- 53.14
- Gage Crosby, Arizona- 53.21
- Connor Hoppe, Cal- 53.24
- Christian Lorenz, ASU- 53.28
- Steven Stumph, USC- 53.28
Men’s 100 Back:
USC’s Ralf Tribuntsov was the fastest man in the 100 back this morning, taking top seed with a blistering 45.30. Arizona’s Chatham Dobbs also impressed with a 45.58 for 2nd seed and a lifetime best by almost a full second. Stanford’s Ryan Dudzinski took 3rd in 46.01, just off his 45.9 from a time trial last night.
Stanford’s Ryan Arata (46.54) and ASU’s Richard Bohus (46.92) got to the wall in under 47 for 4th and 5th. The Sun Devils got 2 into the top 8, with Reid Elliot at 6th in 47.19. Stanford’s Patrick Conaton and Cal’s Michael Thomas tied at 47.22 for 7th to round out the qualifying for the A final.
- Ralf Tribuntsov, USC- 45.30
- Chatham Dobbs, Arizona- 45.58
- Ryan Dudzinski, Stanford- 46.01
- Ryan Arata, Stanford- 46.54
- Richard Bohus, ASU- 46.92
- Reid Elliot, ASU- 47.19
- Patrick Conaton, Stanford- 47.22
- Michael Thomas, Cal- 47.22