2019 Chinese Youth Games
- August 10th – August 17th
The 2019 Chinese Youth Games took place last week, with competitors across the age categories of 11-16 and 17-19 taking to the pool in their home nation.
As with many domestic Chinese meets, the results are not readily available. As such, we’ve pieced together notable performances from over the course of the 8-day affair.
- 12-year-old Wang Jiayin took her age category’s 200m backstroke victory in a time of 2:10.79. That time would make her the fastest American female ever in the 11-12 category by 5 seconds.
- 15-year-old Wan Letian won the women’s 50m back in a time of 27.96.
- Sun Jiajun, the man who took the 100m breaststroke Youth Olympic Games gold in Buenos Aires last year, notched his first-ever sub-minute result at these games. Sun clocked 59.92 to take the 100m breast gold here.
- Yang Yifan swept the women’s backstroke events in the 17-19 age range, reaping times of 28.84 in the 50m, 1:01.32 in the 100m and 2:10.25 in the 200m.
- The women’s 100m free saw Yang Junxuan get it done for the 17-19-year-olds in 54.22.
- Zhang Yifan won the women’s 200m fly in 2:08.30.