2018 U.S. NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Wednesday, July 25 – Sunday, July 29, 2018
- William Woollett Aquatics Center, Irvine, CA
- Prelims 9 AM / Finals 6 PM (U.S. Pacific Time)
- Meet website
- Meet information
- Event Order
- Full selection procedures
- Psych Sheet
- SwimSwam Previews Index
- TV Schedule
- Pick ‘Em Contest
- Omega Results
- Live Stream
- Sunday Finals Heat Sheet
Reported by Lauren Neidigh.
MEN’S 50 FREE:
- World Record: Cesar Cielo, 20.91, 2009
- American Record: Caeleb Dressel, 21.15, 2017
- Championship Record: Nathan Adrian/Garret Weber-Gale, 21.47, 2013/2008
- U.S. Open Record: 21.14, Cesar Cielo, 2009
- GOLD: Michael Andrew– 21.49
- SILVER: Caeleb Dressel– 21.67
- BRONZE: Nathan Adrian– 21.85
- FOURTH: Michael Chadwick– 22.00
Michael Andrew had done it again. World champ Caeleb Dressel popped off the start to the lead, but Andrew moved ahead towards the finish, knocking 2 tenths off his best in 21.49 to win his 3rd of the 4 stroke 50s this week. Dressel wound up 2nd in 21.67, out-touching felow Worlds sprint medalist Nathan Adrian (21.85). Andrew is now the 6th fastest American ever in the event. He was just 2 hundredths off the Meet Record tonight.
Michael Chadwick was a hundredths shy of his best for 4th in 22.00. Since he didn’t place in the top 4 in the 100 free, Chadwick won’t be making the trip to Pan Pacs this summer. Fellow 2017 Worlds team member Zach Apple was 5th, also just off his best in 22.06. Apple should be making the trip to Pan Pacs since he placed 4th in the 100 free earlier in the meet. he had the fastest 100 free time of the meet with his performance in prelims.
Tate Jackson had the 6th fastest time of the night in 22;09 from the B final. That topped his best by 3 tenths. Olympic gold medalist Ryan Held was just behind in 22.27. 100 free champ Blake Pieroniplaced 5th in the B final in 22.56. He was a tenth ahead of Harvard star Dean Farris (22.66), who finished 7th there.