Press Release courtesy of Florida Athletics
The Gators have a busy week of SEC meets ahead of them, beginning with Alabama on Wednesday at 3 p.m. EST/2 p.m. CT in Tuscaloosa.
Florida continues its week by returning home to face Georgia on Thursday and Friday. Thursday’s session will feature only diving, beginning at 6 p.m., while Friday kicks off at 10 a.m. and contains both swimming and another diving session.
The Crimson Tide men are ranked 13th in the nation, while the women are receiving votes in the CSCAA poll. Both Georgia squads are also ranked, with the women sitting at fourth and the men tied for eighth in the country.
The last time the Gators took on Alabama was the 2013-14 season, when both the men’s and women’s teams came out victorious. The women topped the Crimson Tide, 179-113, while the men defeated Alabama, 169-123.
Only three Gators from that squad remain on the team today: Dalton Goss, Blake Manganiello and Enzo Martinez-Scarpe, who were all redshirting at the time.
Looking ahead to end of the week, Florida’s men are looking for the first win against Georgia since 2013-14 and the women are looking for their first win since the 2006-07 season.
The Gators totaled eight race wins last year against the Bulldogs, including seven individual victories. Savanna Faulconer led the way with two first-place finishes, winning the 100 breaststroke and 200 IM. Alyssa Yambor-Maul took home first in the 100 fly, while the relay team of Sherridon Dressel, Kelsey Dambacher, Bella Garofalo and Amelia Maughan won the 400 freestyle relay.
On the men’s side, Caeleb Dressel claimed victory in the 50 free, while Jan Switkowski took home first in the 200 IM.
Former Gator Sam Smith won the 1-meter for the men and Teya Syskakis topped the 1-meter women’s field.
Updates for all meets can be found at @GatorsSwimDv on Twitter and the sessions for both Wednesday and Fridaywill be streamed on the SEC Network + and the WatchESPN app.
Full Week Schedule:
– Wednesday at Alabama – 3 p.m. EST/2 p.m. CT
– Thursday vs. Georgia (diving) – 6 p.m.
– Friday vs. Georgia – 10 a.m.
– The first 200 students to the Stephen C. O’Connell Center Natatorium on Friday will receive a free pink T-shirt for breast cancer awareness.
Follow the Gators:
– Wednesday’s meet against Alabama will be streamed on the SEC Network +, as well as the WatchESPN app.
– Updates for Wednesday’s meet will also be provided through @GatorsSwimDv on Twitter and final results and a recap can be found at FloridaGators.com.
– Thursday’s diving session will not be streamed, but results will be available through the Meet Mobile app and @GatorsSwimDv on Twitter.
– Friday’s meet at 10 a.m. can also be found on the SEC Network + and the WatchESPN app.
– Results will be on the Meet Mobile app, as well @GatorsSwimDv on Twitter.