Bowling Green at Xavier
- Bowling Green def. Xavier 133-129
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- Nov. 2, 2018
Courtesy: Bowling Green Athletics
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio — The Bowling Green State University swimming and diving program faced the Xavier Musketeers in a non-conference swim meet on Friday, Nov. 2. Falcon Swimmers finished first in eight of 14 events to win the meet with a score of 133-129. Having won the meet, the Falcons’ overall record improves to 5-0.
FIRST PLACE FALCONS
- Freshman Daisy Platts makes up 27 of the Falcons’ final point tally. Platts finished first in the three events versus the Musketeers; she finished first in the 50-yard backstroke (26.50), the 100-yard backstroke (56.16), and the 200-yard IM (2:08.45).
- Freshman Kellie House chipped in 18 points after earning first place finishes in the 1,000-yard freestyle (10:36.94), and the 500-yard freestyle (5:11.58).
- Sophomores Jordan Andrusak and Sarah Hennings contributed a combined 18 points. Andrusak finished first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a final time of 1:07.27; Hennings was the winner of the 50-yard butterfly.
- Senior Franziska Wohlert claimed first place in the 200-yard freestyle, finishing with a time of 1:55.94.
COACH PERKINS QUOTE
“Great meet! We are happy to leave here with a win. It was a really fun and exciting meet. The girls fought hard and were able to pull out the victory.”
Falcons Swimming and Diving will return to Cooper Pool for two dual meets over the upcoming weekend. The Falcons will host Michigan on Nov. 9, and Youngstown State on Nov. 10.
Courtesy: Xavier Athletics
CINCINNATI – Xavier women’s swimming’s dual meet with Bowling Green came down to final event at O’Connor Sports Center on Friday evening. Trailing narrowly going into the final relay, Xavier needed to claim the top two spots to finish in a tie for second straight meet. Xavier was just .09 second shy of pulling off the draw with the Falcons.
- Xavier led off the event with a win in the 400 medley relay for Caroline Gaertner, Lydia Schaeffer, Taylor Hogan and Emily Conners, touching the wall first with a time of 3:50.95, the fastest time by the Musketeers this season.
- In the 1000 free, three Musketeers scored, led by Tilly Baldwin in second place, finishing in 10:37.78, her season-best time. Emma Kauffeld and Maggie Kauffeld finished fourth and fifth respectively. Maggie Kauffeld’s time of 10:55.78 is her season-best mark.
- Emily Saugstad led the Musketeers in the 200 free, placing second with a time of 1:56.27. Abigail Garner and Katie Kerr also score, placing third and fifth. Kerr’s time of 1:57.97 is her season-best.
- Ali Fort‘s third place finish led Xavier in the 50 back. Laura Dicus touched just behind her in fourth.
- Lydia Schaeffer took the top spot in the 50 breast, finishing in 30.31. Samantha White also scored, in fifth.
- Caroline Gaertner a first place finish in the 100 fly with a time of 56.71, her top time this season and the best time by a Musketeer so far in 2018-19. Taylor Hogan finished second with a time of 57.00, a season-best mark, and Annie Cummins scored for Xavier in fourth place with her own season-best mark of 58.85.
- Emily Conners and Tianna Vozar led the Musketeers in the freestyle sprints, finishing first and second, respectively in both the 50 free and 100 free. Conners’ time of 51.45 in the 100 free was her top time so far this season, and the best time by a Musketeer so far in 2018-19.
- Taylor Hogan led Xavier with a third-place finish in the 100 back with a time of 58.15, her best time in the event this season. Ali Fort and Anne Locker touched in fourth and fifth.
- Schaeffer led the Musketeers again in a breaststroke event, this time the 100, finishing second with a time of 1:08.01. Kelly Harris also scored for Xavier, in fifth.
- Emma Kauffeld led a trio of Musketeers in the top-four of the 500 free, placing second. Tilly Baldwin (5:14.79) finished third and Katie Kerr (5:15.07) finished fourth, both setting season-best times in the process.
- Caroline Gaertner led Xavier in the 50 fly, touching the wall in 26.08 to place second. Lorelei Gaertner placed third, just .32 behind her sister.
- Alison Herman led Xavier with a third-place finish in the 200 IM, touching the wall in 2:09.94
- Going into the final event, Xavier trailed narrowly, needing to claim the top two spots in the 200 free relay to finish in a tie for a second-straight meet. Xavier’s A team of Tianna Vozar, Maureen Cummins, Caroline Gaertner and Laura Dicus took the top spot by posting the fastest time by a Musketeers squad so far this season, 1:36.27.
- Xavier’s B-Team of Emily Conners, Lorelei Gaertner, Emily Saugstad and Annie Cummins touched less than a second behind the top-finish A team, with a time of 1:36.99 but were just .09 behind BGSU’s A-squad to take third.
- Xavier collected six event wins on the night, but fell narrowly, 133-129.
Xavier’s full squad will be back in action on Saturday, Nov. 3 when the Musketeers travel to Denison with events set to begin at 1:00 p.m.