LIBERTY LEAGUE – MEN AND WOMEN
- Dates: Wednesday, February 19-Saturday, February 22, 2020
- Location: Ithaca College – Ithaca, NY
- Defending Champion: Ithaca women; Rensselaer men (4x)
- Live Results: Available here
- Live Video: Available here
- DAY 3 RESULTS
Courtesy: Liberty League Athletics
ITHACA, N.Y. – The Liberty League Swimming and Diving Championships continued Friday at the Kelsey Partridge Bird Natatorium at Ithaca College with five men’s events and four women’s events. Four more meet records were established in the nine events – three on the men’s and one on the women’s sides.
DAY 3 TEAM SCORES:
MEN: 1. RPI 1,197; 2. Ithaca 1,134; 3. RIT 1,093; 4. Vassar 684; 5. Clarkson 642.5; 6. Union 417; 7. Skidmore 283; 8. St. Lawrence 169.5 ; 9. Bard 132.
WOMEN: 1. Ithaca 1,003.5; 2. RIT 898; 3. RPI 863; 4. Vassar 808; 5. Union 550; 6. Skidmore 422; 7. Clarkson 388; 8. St. Lawrence 379.5; 9. William Smith 332; 10. Bard 176.
Highlights from Friday’s championship action:
- Ithaca College senior Nate Bartalo set a school, meet and association record while posting an NCAA ‘B’ cut time in winning the 200-yard butterfly in 1:49.75. Bartalo started fast and held off a late charge by RIT freshman Cameron Marcus (1:49.83) over the final 25 yards to win the event. Marcus and RPI sophomore Alex Aung (1:50.59), who took third, also recorded NCAA ‘B’ cut times.
- RPI sophomore Harrison Bass, the top qualifier in the 100-yard backstroke prelims, topped the field in the finals with a meet-record performance of 50.34. Bass, who swam 50.65 in the prelims, broke the record of 50.57 set by Bard’s Dio Tzortzis in 2018.
- RPI sophomore Jonathan Yang was a repeat champion in the 100-yard breaststroke. Yang, who won the event in 57.17 last year, recorded a meet-record time of 56.44 after being seeded third in the final. He broke the record of 56.73 set in the morning prelims by RIT sophomore Brendan Kapp. Kapp (56.95) took second in the final.
- The RIT 800-yard freestyle relay team of freshman Aidan Daudier, freshman Theo Heilman, senior Mark Truskinovsky and junior Eric Moss swam to victory in 7:43.47. The Tigers defeated runner-up RPI by more than three seconds (7:47.11).
- Ithaca College junior diver Justin Moczynski, who finished second on the 3-meter board on Wednesday, won the 1-meter competition, posting a finals score of 504.70.
- After breaking the Liberty League championship record in the 100-yard backstroke prelims (55.76) in the morning, RPI sophomore Megan Beaulieu trimmed one one-hundredth of a second off her time in the finals, winning the event in 55.75. The meet record entering the championship was 56.32 set last year by Sedera Zbranak of RIT. Bealieu, who had achieved an NCAA ‘B’ cut time earlier in the season, improved her time and virtually guaranteed an invitation to the NCAA Division III Championship.
- Vassar freshman Lillian Lowenthal earned a victory in the 200-yard butterfly in a time of 2:06.15, using a strong finish to edge Union senior Kerry Kelly (2:07.09) for her first Liberty League championship.
- Another first-year swimmer, RIT freshman Sam Russell, turned in a strong effort in winning the 100-yard breaststroke. Russell, who had the top .time in the prelims, recording a winning time of 1:05.00, finishing more than a second ahead of runner-up Kat Lopez of RPI (1:06.42).
- The Vassar 800-yard freestyle relay team consisting of Lowenthal, freshman Abby Whittington, freshman Grace Myers and sophomore Jesse Ecklund earned a first-place finish in 7:43.47. The Brewers won by nearly four seconds, easily surpassing the previous school record of 7:50.11 set in 2016.