2021 U.S. OLYMPIC SWIMMING TRIALS
- Wave I Dates: June 4-7, 2021
- Wave II Dates: June 13-20, 2021
- Prelims: 10am CDT | Finals: 7pm CDT
- Where: CHI Health Center / Omaha, Nebraska
- 2021 U.S. Olympic Trials Qualifying Cuts
- Wave I & II Event Order
- LCM (50m)
- Day 5 Finals Live Stream
- Psych Sheets
- Wave II Live Results
- Day 5 Finals Heat Sheet
Reported by James Sutherland.
WOMEN’S 200 FLY FINAL
- World Record: Liu Zige (CHN) – 2:01.81 (2009)
- American Record: Mary Descenza – 2:04.14 (2009)
US Open Record: Hali Flickinger (USA) – 2:05.87 (2018)
- World Junior Record: Suzuka Hasegawa (JPN) – 2:06.29 (2017)
- 2016 Olympic Champion: Mireia Belmonte Garcia (ESP) – 2:04.85
- 2016 US Olympic Trials Champion: Cammile Adams – 2:06.80
- Wave I Cut: 2:14.59
- Wave II Cut: 2:12.56
- FINA ‘A’ Cut: 2:08.43
Flickinger didn’t let her get away, however, and the two turned almost dead-even at the 100, just under 1:00. Flickinger pulled away on the last 50, out-splitting Smith by almost a full second in 33.12, as she earns the right to represent the U.S. in this event at a second straight Olympics.
Flickinger took one back for the veterans, in a sense, as we’ve seen the youngsters come out on top in a lot of the events recently, especially on the women’s side.
Oh, and Flickinger’s time was pretty good too.
Her 2:05.85 improves on her personal best by .02, set in 2018, lowering her own U.S. Open Record. The UGA grad notably changed training bases, joining Bob Bowman at ASU, after winning silver at the 2019 Worlds in this event.
Smith held on for second in 2:06.99, six-tenths off her PB, to add a second event in Tokyo.