2018 NCAA Division II Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships
- Dates: Wednesday, March 14 – Saturday, March 17
- Swimming: prelims 10am, finals 6pm; Diving: 2pm
- Location: Greensboro Aquatic Center, Greensboro, North Carolina (Eastern Time Zone)
- Defending Champions: Queens (results)
- Psych Sheet
- Live Results
- Championship Central
Women’s 200 Yard Butterfly – Finals
- NCAA DII: 1:57.62 2/17/2018 McKenzie Stevens, Queens (NC)
- Meet: 1:57.94 3/11/2016 Sofia Petrenko, Wingate
- Mckenzie Stevens, SR Queens (NC) 1:56.89
- Jessie Gibson, SO Simon Fraser 1:57.97
- Sofia Petrenko, SR Cal Baptist 2:00.19
Queens senior Mckenzie Stevens broke the NCAA Division II Championship Record, and lowered her own NCAA Division II 200 fly record set at the 2018 Bluegrass Mountain Conference Championships in February, on Friday night in Greensboro. Stevens dropped .73 to go 1:56.89 and win the 200 fly title by over 1 second, beating Simon Fraser sophomore Jessie Gibson (1:57.97) and Cal Baptist senior Sofia Petrenko (2:00.19). Petrenko had set the Championship Record at the 2016 NCAAs with 1:57.94.
Stevens swam a steady and patient race. Third at the 50, she moved into second at the 100, then dominated the second half of the race. That is where she picked up all .73 of her improvement. Her third 50 was especially aggressive, and yet she still was able to hang on and close well.
Here are the comparative splits.
|Mckenzie Stevens, Queens, 2018 NCAAs||Mckenzie Stevens, Queens, 2018 BMCs||Sofia Petrenko, Wingate, 2016 NCAAs|
|100||56.15 (29.49)||56.15 (29.64)||56.41 (29.86)|
|150||1:26.06 (29.91)||1:26.65 (30.50)||1:26.50 (30.09)|
|200||1:56.89 (30.83)||1:57.62 (30.97)||1:57.94 (31.44)|
Stevens was ninth in the 200 IM on Wednesday and runner-up in the 200 free on Thursday. She is entered in the 100 free on Saturday.