Reported by Lauren Neidigh.
WOMEN’S 200 FREE:
- NCAA Record: Missy Franklin (Cal), 2015, 1:39.10
- American Record: Missy Franklin (Cal), 2015, 1:39.10
- Championship Record: Missy Franklin (Cal), 2015, 1:39.10
- 2017 Champion: Katie Ledecky (Stanford)/Mallory Comerford (Louisville), 1:40.36
- GOLD: Mallory Comerford, Louisville, 1:39.80
- SILVER: Siobhan Haughey, Michigan, 1:40.69
- BRONZE: Simone Manuel, Stanford, 1:41.48
Siobhan Haughey of Michigan was out in 23.84 to lead up front, but Louisville’s Mallory Comerfordtook over that lead with a 49.42 halfway. She extended her lead through the back half, crashing through the 1:40-barrier to win it in 1:39.80. She’s now the 2nd woman ever to break 1:40 in the event. Manuel had moved ahead of Haughey going into the last 50, but Haughey bounced back to take 2nd in 1:40.69, while Manuel wound up 3rd in 1:41.48. That was Haughey’s first time under 1:41.
Michigan’s Gabby Deloof took control of the B heat early on and extended her lead to a body length going into the last lap. Deloof shaved a couple of tenths off her best to win the heat in 1:42.69.