2019 Italian Winter Championships
- Dec. 12-14, 2019
- Riccione (Italy) – Stadio del Nuoto
- LCM (50m course)
- Entry Lists
- Live Stream
The Winter Championships are the first of two Olympic qualifying events for Italy. These carry very tough selection times, and those who don’t make it through this round will have another chance (with slightly softer selection times) at the Italian Championships in March.
Martinenghi won the 100 breast on day 1, going 58.75 to lower his own national record. The 20-year-old Martinenghi had previously been 59.01. He won the Italian winter title by eight tenths of a second over Federico Poggio (59.58), with Fabio Scozzoli third in 59.80.
The other Olympic qualifier on the day was Simona Quadarella, the distance standout who was 15:57.18 in the 1500 free. That’s still well off her Italian record 15:40.89, but easily got under the Olympic selection time of 16:10.0.
Other notable day 1 winners:
- Silvia di Pietro took the 50 fly in 26.41, touching out Elena di Liddo (26.58) by a tenth. Di Pietro would also win the 50 free at the end of the session in 24.95. That’s just a tenth off her national record, but six tenths off the Olympic selection time of 24.3.
- In the men’s 50 fly, it was a tie between Matteo Milli and Simone Sabbioni. Both went 25.17.
- That was one of two national championship ties on the day. Martina Carraro and Arianna Castiglioni also shared the women’s 100 breast gold, both going 1:07.20. Olympic selection was 1:06.4.
- Stefania Pirozzi won the 400 free in 4:10.09, and Gabriele Detti (3:47.04) won for the men, outlasting Marco de Tullio (3:47.18), but missing the selection time of 3:44.8.
- Silvia Scalia won the women’s 50 back in 28.49.
- Piero Codia took the men’s 100 fly, going 52.10 to beat Matteo Rivolta (52.38). Both were well off the tough selection time of 51.0.
- Luca Dotto won the 50 free in 21.99, four tenths from Olympic selection.