Head Swimming Coach / Aquatics Coordinator
This position is a full-time, 12-month, benefited union staff position under the supervision of the Director of Athletics. The employee serves as the Head Coach of the men’s and women’s swim teams as well as the Academy’s Aquatics Coordinator. The employee runs his or her athletic program in accordance with Maine Maritime Academy, New England Intercollegiate Swimming and Diving Association, and NCAA rules, regulations and policies. The employee must be committed to promoting academic and athletic achievement in a way that is fully integrated with the mission and vision of Maine Maritime Academy and the NCAA Division III philosophy.
- Serve as the coach of the men’s and women’s varsity swimming programs responsible for organizing and directing all aspects of a successful and competitive NCAA Division III Program
- Recruit and retain roster of student-athletes
- Provide high-quality teaching in a humane learning environment
- Monitor and promote the academic and personal growth of student-athletes
- Develop and manage program’s budget
- Operate program in a manner consistent with NCAA and NEISDA bylaws
- Develop and maintains alumni support for the program
- Supervise assistant coaches
AQUATICS COORDINATOR DUTIES
- Serve as the Aquatics Coordinator: establishing procedure for and supervising, part-time and student employees assigned to work and operate programs occurring within Bok Pool.
- Serve as a certified Pool Operator and ensure compliance with Section 10-144 of Code of Maine Regulations, Chapter 202: State of Maine Rules Relating to Public Pools and Spas.
- Develop and maintain operations manual for Bok Pool.
- Schedule use of Bok Pool for internal and external constituencies according to institutional and departmental guidelines.
- Promote and establish rental opportunities with the external community.
- Hire, train and supervise student and part-time lifeguards.
- Teach lifeguarding classes within the physical education program and conduct training and certification classes for the public as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to the position. The Academy may assign reasonably related additional duties to individual employees consistent with policy and collective bargaining agreements.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple competing projects
- Ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff including management
- Public speaking experience
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work in a student-oriented training environment
- Ability to work with, inspire, motivate and support adolescents and young adults
- Flexibility, initiative, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Adept at learning and using a variety of software programs
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree required
- College-level playing or coaching experience in relevant sport
- AED / CPR / First Aid
- Certified Pool Technician or Certified Pool Operator, or ability to obtain certificate within one month of hire
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures
- Computer proficiency/knowledge of Windows Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal/professional communication skills required
- Ability to work irregular / extended hours/weeks, including night and weekend duties as required
- Valid driver’s license is required
- Tobacco-free campus.
- Criminal background check required.
- Contacts include Alumni, Parents, Students and various external and internal constituencies
- Travel, long hours, evenings and several weekends as necessary
- Occasionally lift, push and move up to 30 pounds
- Exposure to the elements during regularly scheduled outdoor activities
- Requires occasional lifting, stooping, kneeling, crouching
- Moderate to active physical activity.
- Required to manipulate keyboard and use of computer monitor.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Please visit https://mainemaritime.edu/employment-at-mma/ for application forms. Interested individuals should submit the following documents in a single email to [email protected] (in the subject line of your email, please write your name and the position for which you are applying):
- Cover Letter
- Completed MMA Application*
- Copies of applicable professional certifications and/or licenses
- Contact information for at least three professional references
- Completed MMA Application Checklist
- MMA Self-Identification Form (attach as separate document)
*Pages 2 and 3 of the MMA Application must be signed and dated by hand or signed electronically using an electronic signature verification service. Electronic signatures, to include images of hand-written signature, will not be accepted unless so verified.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
Equal Employment Opportunities
Maine Maritime Academy is an equal opportunity employer. The Academy complies with federal and/or state law that prohibit unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, marital status, disability, age, genetic information or veteran status. The Academy provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals upon request. Women, minorities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
MMA is unable at this time to sponsor visas. We welcome foreign nationals with valid U.S. work authorization to apply.
Castine, ME 04420