Date posted: December 6, 2021
Location: Staten Island, NY 10310, USA
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Staten Island Broadway YMCA is seeking an Aquatics Director who will provide direction and leadership to the Aquatics department. The Aquatics Director will follow all YMCA of Greater New York and Department of Health aquatics standards to maintain safety for all aquatics programs in and around the swim area and will lead by example to promote and demonstrate professional demeanor to aquatics staff.
- Know and understand all YMCA, state and local health and safety requirements, including Pool Safety Plan, Emergency Action Plan, Emergency Evacuation Routes and staff certifications.
- Maintain adequate staffing (recruiting, training, hiring and evaluating) of lifeguards, swim instructors and water exercise instructors, to deliver programs.
- Identify Deck Supervisor and Aquatics Coordinator candidates.
- Conduct in-service training as required by the YMCA association.
- Develop, implement, track, and control the department budget, in accordance with Branch and Association budget guidelines.
- Review program schedules, capacity staffing and revenues to meet the community needs and YMCA mission.
- Collaborate and build relationships within the YMCA Branch, Association, and community organizations in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- Maintain positive relations with participants, parents, members and staff.
- Maintain all records, in accordance with law for pool maintenance, staff training and certifications, program member attendance and evaluation of participant skills, and Department of Health (DOH) requirements.
- Maintain certification level of physical and mental readiness.
- Attain YMCA Pool Operator or equivalent and YMCA Aquatics Management certification within 180 days of hire.
- Attain YMCA Introduction to Fiscal Management and YMCA Lifeguard Instructor and YMCA Supervision certification within 1 year of hire.
- Responsible for recertification before expiration.
- Attend Branch Board Meetings and/or Membership/Program Committee Meetings.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of experience supervising lifeguards and swim instructors.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard certification or equivalent.
- Current YMCA Swim Lessons certification or equivalent.
- Current Basic Life Support (CPRO), Emergency Oxygen and First Aid certifications.
- Demonstrate swim strokes, lifeguard rescues and CPRO/FA/EO skills.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK | Where there’s a Y, there’s a way.