Both Jason Block and Mack Darragh were added to the Canadian Olympic roster after it was announced by FINA on May 31st that Canada’s men’s 4x100m medley relay had qualified for the Olympic Games.
Block won the 100m breaststroke at Canadian Trials in April while Darragh won the 100m butterfly, but because the two didn’t meet the FINA ‘A’ standard, Canada didn’t add them to the team for individual events.
Block, who formerly trained at Calgary before moving to the United States, won the 100m breaststroke with a 1:00.59 to finish just 0.02 seconds off the standard.
Darragh, who also trains in the States, representing the University of Missouri, won the 100m butterfly in 53.37, the 200m butterfly in 1:58.22 and finished third in the 200m IM.
With the two swimmers added to the roster, the Canadian men’s 4x100m medley relay team is set for Rio. Javier Acevedo, who broke the world junior record at Canadian trials in the 100m backstroke, will be leading things off followed by Block, Darragh, and Santo Condorelli.
Below is the updated Canadian Olympic roster.
THE CANADIAN ROSTER
*Note: a name in italics means first time Olympian
- Javier Acevedo – 100 backstroke, 4x100m medley relay
- Ryan Cochrane – 400 freestyle, 1500 freestyle
- Ashton Baumann – 200 breaststroke
- Santo Condorelli – 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, 4×100 freestyle relay, 4x100m medley relay
- Yuri Kisil – 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, 4×100 freestyle relay
- Evan Van Moerkerke – 4×100 freestyle relay
- Markus Thormeyer – 4×100 freestyle relay
- Mack Darragh – 4x100m medley relay
- Jason Block – 4x100m medley relay
- Brittany MacLean – 200 freestyle, 400 freestyle, 800 freestyle, 4×200 freestyle relay
- Penny Oleksiak – 100 butterfly, 200 freestyle, 100 freestyle, 4×100 freestyle relay, 4×200 freestyle relay, 4×100 medley relay
- Noemie Thomas – 100 butterfly, *(4×100 medley relay)
- Kylie Masse – 100 back, 4×100 medley relay
- Dominique Bouchard – 100 backstroke
- Sydney Pickrem – 200 IM, 400 IM
- Emily Overholt – 400 IM
- Kierra Smith – 100 breaststroke, 200 breaststroke, 4×100 medley relay
- Rachel Nicol – 100 breaststroke
- Audrey Lacroix – 200 butterfly
- Erika Seltenreich-Hodgson – 200 IM
- Chantal Van Landeghem – 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, 4×100 freestyle relay *(4×100 medley relay)
- Martha McCabe – 200 breaststroke
- Hilary Caldwell – 200 backstroke
- Michelle Williams – 50 freestyle, 4×100 freestyle relay
- Katerine Savard – 4×200 freestyle relay
- Kennedy Goss – 4×200 freestyle relay
- Sandrine Mainville – 4×100 freestyle relay
- Taylor Ruck – 4×200 freestyle relay
- High Performance Director John Atkinson
- Ben Titley
- Tom Johnson
- Steve Price
- Linda Keifer
- Ryan Mallette
- Kevin Thorburn