Canisius College vs Gannon
- January 25, 2020
- Erie, Pennsylvania
Courtesy: Canisius Athletics
Traveling down to the Carneval Athletic Pavilion for their final meet of the 2019-20 regular season, the Canisius men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams earned a sweep over Gannon on Saturday afternoon in Erie, Pa.
The Canisius men won by a 153.3-120.5 margin, while the women for the Blue and Gold earned a 177-97 victory over the Golden Knights.
The women’s team claimed top spots in 11 of 14 events on Saturday. Junior Dana Bender led the way for the Golden Griffins, finishing first in three out of her four events. Additionally, junior Sage Pollack and freshman Grace Van Buren earned two top finishes apiece in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard butterfly, respectively. Both Pollack and Van Buren were also part of the first-place 200-yard medley relay team.
On the men’s side, Canisius earned 12 of the 14 top times. Junior Luke Kennedy notched a trio of top finishes across the 200 Medley Relay, 100 breaststroke and 200 breaststroke events. Seniors Kenyon Winkky, Kyle Griffin, junior Mike Mauer and sophomore Liam O’Connell each earned a pair first-place finishes.
The victories over Gannon close out the 2019-20 regular season for the Griffs. Canisius will return to action at the 2020 MAAC Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships, taking place Feb. 12-15 at Burt Flickinger Center in Buffalo, N.Y.
Courtesy: Gannon Athletics
- Score: Canisius 153.5, Gannon 120.5
- Location: Erie, Pa. – Carneval Athletic Pavilion
- Records: Gannon 5-3 | Canisius 6-3
- The Short Story: Luke Engel (Jersey Shore, Pa./Jersey Shore) and Brent Benedict (Corry, Pa./Corry) each won a pair of events and David Gallion (Arlington, Va./Homeschooled) turned in three PSAC times as the Gannon men’s swimming and diving team closed its regular season with a dual defeat against Division I Canisius on Senior Day Saturday at the Carneval Athletic Pavilion.
GAMEDAY MEDIA CENTER
- Final Results: Click Here
FIRST PLACE FINISHES
- 1000 freestyle – Alex Deemer (Connoquenessing, Pa./Butler Area) – 10:02.41
- 50 freestyle – Clark Eason (Warren, Pa./Warren Area) – 21.27
- 1-meter diving – Kollin Schwab (Erie, Pa./McDowell) – 373.25 (11 dives)
- 100 freestyle – Brent Benedict (Corry, Pa./Corry) – 46.07
- 200 backstroke – Andrew Beyer (Warren, Pa./Warren Area) – 1:58.61
- 100 butterfly – Luke Engel (Jersey Shore, Pa./Jersey Shore) – 51.59
- 400 freestyle relay – Robert Bolmanski (Erie, Pa./McDowell), Justin Decheck (Plum Borough, Pa./Plum Senior), Luke Engel (Jersey Shore, Pa./Jersey Shore), Brent Benedict (Corry, Pa./Corry) – 3:08.22
PSAC QUALIFYING TIMES
(2019-20 NCAA and PSAC Qualifying Times)
- A. Deemer – 1000 free (10:02.41)
- Joey Deemer (Connoquenessing, Pa./Butler Area) – 1000 free (10:21.84); 500 free (4:58.53)
- Justin Decheck (Plum Borough, Pa./Plum Senior) – 100 back (52.13); 100 fly (51.92)
- Beyer – 100 back (54.75); 200 back (1:58.61)
- Robert Bolmanski (Erie, Pa./McDowell) – 100 breast (1:01.11); 500 free (4:42.27)
- David Gallion (Arlington, Va./Homeschooled) – 200 fly (1:57.37); 100 fly (52.01); 200 IM (2:01.94)
- Eason – 50 free (21.27); 100 free (49.09)
- Engel – 50 free (21.38); 100 fly (51.59)
- Benedict – 100 free (46.07)
- The Golden Knights turned in 17 PSAC times, with Gallion hitting the standard in all three events he competed in. J. Deemer, Decheck, Beyer, Bolmanski, Eason and Engel all had two PSAC times.
- Seniors Eason and Benedict closed strong in their final races at home, each winning an individual race. That duo and Jon Ekas (Erie, Pa./McDowell) were honored before Saturday’s dual.
- Schwab led the way in diving, scoring 373.25 over 11 dives to edge out teammate Joe Campbell’s (Erie, Pa./Cathedral Prep) 363.35.
- Gannon begins its ramp-up to the postseason over the next few weeks, with the PSAC Swimming and Diving Championships taking place in York, Pennsylvania Feb. 19-22.