2021 U.S. OLYMPIC SWIMMING TRIALS
- Wave I Dates: June 4-7, 2021
- Wave II Dates: June 13-20, 2021
- Prelims: 10am CDT | Finals: 7pm CDT (8PM finals on Friday & Saturday)
- Where: CHI Health Center / Omaha, Nebraska
- 2021 U.S. Olympic Trials Qualifying Cuts
- Wave I & II Event Order
- LCM (50m)
- Day 6 Finals Live Stream
- Psych Sheets
- Wave II Live Results
- Day 6 Finals Heat Sheet
Reported by James Sutherland.
WOMEN’S 200 BREAST FINAL
- World Record: Rikke Moller Pedersen (DEN) – 2:19.11 (2013)
- American Record: Rebecca Soni – 2:19.59 (2012)
- US Open Record: Rebecca Soni (USA) – 2:20.38 (2009)
- World Junior Record: Viktoriya Zeynep Gunes (TUR) – 2:19.64 (2015)
- 2016 Olympic Champion: Rie Kaneto (JPN) – 2:20.30
- 2016 US Olympic Trials Champion: Lilly King – 2:24.08
- Wave I Cut: 2:33.29
- Wave II Cut: 2:30.49
- FINA ‘A’ Cut: 2:25.52
In undoubtedly the most emotionally-charged finish of the meet, training partners Annie Lazor and Lilly King went 1-2 in the women’s 200 breaststroke to officially punch Lazor’s ticket to Tokyo, with the 26-year-old claiming the win in a time of 2:21.07.
That showing falls just three-tenths shy of Lazor’s best time, set in 2019, and propels her into third in the world this season.
Lazor blew by everyone on the third 50, splitting 35.97, and then extended the gap coming home for the victory.
King made a big push on the last length, pulling away from Escobedo and Galat to snag second in 2:21.75 and add a second event to her Tokyo schedule. This is King’s first “loss” in an Olympic Trials final, having gone 3/3 up until this point (I don’t think she minds).