Butler Double Dual – Xavier, St. Louis, Evansville, Butler
- Sept. 29, 2019
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- Men: Evansville def. SLU 107-98;
- Women: Evansville def. Butler 129-99; SLU def. Butler 166-62; Xavier def. Butler 135-61; SLU def. Evansville 127-107; Xavier def. SLU 120-108; Xavier def. Evansville 130-98
Courtesy: Butler Athletics
INDIANAPOLIS – Butler hosted Saint Louis, Evansville and Xavier over the weekend at North Central High School. Emma Harris posted the top performance for the Bulldogs in the 500 Freestyle. She placed second overall with a time of 5:19.29.
“We had a solid season opening meet today against three strong teams,” Head Coach Maurice Stewart explained. “I was very pleased with our high team spirit, energy, and competitiveness. I was surprised how well we finished our races today which is a good indicator our training and positive team attitude is off to a great start.”
BU recorded 62 points vs. Saint Louis, 99 points vs. Evansville and 61 points vs. Xavier.
Harris was joined by teammate Olivia Klafta in the 500 Free. Klafta finished sixth with a time of 5:32.43. Harris was also the top BU swimmer in the 1000 Free. She swam 10:57.29 for a fourth place result. Olivia Allen was right behind her in fifth (10:58.19).
Three Bulldogs finished in the top ten in the 50 Free. Annah Van Gheem placed fifth at 25.10. Isabel Heitmeyer took eighth (25.86) and Mattea Dumdey finished 10th (26.12). Van Gheem also earned a fifth place finish in the 200 Fly with a time of 2:11.11.
Relay action featured Butler taking a sixth place finish in the 200 Yard Medley and fifth place in the 400 Yard Free. Megan Hanson, Natalie Rohweder, Van Gheem and Heitmeyer made up the 200 Yard Medley team. They posted a time of 1:51.82.
Madison Himler, Dumdey, Abigail Roberts, and Megan Hanson represented BU in the 400 Yard Free. They came together to post a time of 3:46.35.
Hanson was the top BU finisher in the 200 Free with a time of 1:59.78. Allie Carmichael, Himler, and Rohweder also placed in the top ten in their respective events. Rohweder finished eighth in the 200 Breast (2:30.84), Carmichael was ninth in the 400 IM (4:48.72) and Himler was ninth in the 100 Free (55.55).
The Bulldogs will return to action on Oct. 12 with a meet at Illinois State. Competition is slated to start at 12 PM.
Dual Meet Scores
Saint Louis 166 – Butler 62
Evansville 129 – Butler 99
Xavier 135 – Butler 61
Saint Louis 127 – Evansville 107
Xavier 120 – Saint Louis 108
Xavier 130 – Evansville 98
Courtesy: Xavier Athletics
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Xavier swimming opened up its fall schedule with strong performances at the Butler Double Duals, collecting victories on both the men’s and women’s side. The Musketeers finished in the top spot in 16 different competitions. The women won this meet for the fifth straight season and the men earned top finishes in nine of eleven events.
- Xavier snagged the top two finishes in the 200 yard free, Clare Bosse took first and Emily Saugstad came in a close second place finish.
- Emily Conners took first, for the second straight year, in the 50 and 100 free. Bosse earned a second-place finish behind Conners in the 100 yard free.
- Taylor Hogan and Alison Herman finished back-to-back in the 400 IM for the second straight year. Hogan claimed another first place finish in the 200 yard fly.
- Brooke Atkins picked first in the 200 yard back while Grace Huber finished in third.
- The women claimed the top four spots in the 200 yard breast led by Julianne Libler. Lydia Schaeffer finished in second and Kelly Harris in third. Alison Herman took fourth in the race.
- Clare Bosse, Emily Saugstad, Maureen Cummins and Abigail Garner closed out the meet earning the top finish in the 400 yard free relay.
- Xavier collected team wins over Saint Louis, Butler, and Evansville.
Xavier def. Saint Louis – 120.00-108.000
Xavier def. Butler 135.00-61.00
Xavier def. Evansville 130.00-98.00
- In the 200 yard medley relay, Xavier earned a top finish from Alex Sironen, Jon Bernard, Brandon Abboud and Christian Thomas.
- In the 1000 yard free, Brett Wilson touched the wall first, with a time of 10:00.99.
- Andrew Martin took first in the 200 yard free while Jared Ritz came in second.
- Thomas earned another top finish in the 50 yard free
- Bernard claimed another top finish in the 400 IM, with a four second advantage over Evansville’s Paul Cozzens.
- Brandon Abboud picked up a second place finish in the 200 yard fly.
- Alex Sironen led the 200 yard back while Nick Mahoney finished in second.
- Jon Bernard took the top spot in the men’s 200 yard breast.
- The men closed the competition earning the top spot in the 400 yard free relay. Brandon Abboud, Ben Quon, Christian Thomas and Jared Ritz touched the wall with a one and half second advantage over Evansville.
- Xavier collected team wins over Evansville and Saint Louis.
Xavier def. Evansville 131.00-65.00
Xavier def. Saint Louis 126.00-79.00
Swimming travels to University of Louisville on October 5, 2019 for their next meet. The meet is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. in Louisville Ky. at the Ralph R. Wright Natatorium.
Courtesy: Evansville Athletics
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — The University of Evansville men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams started the season off on a high note at the Butler Double Duel, Sunday afternoon.
As a team the men took a win over Saint Louis 107-98, while the women took the victory over Butler 129-99.
The Purple Aces divers led the way for the squad, sweeping both the 1-meter and 3-meter boards.
Sarah Jahns earned two second place finishes during the day, finishing the 1000-yard freestyle in 10:37.57, while taking 2:08.20 to finish the 200-yard back stroke.
Oskar Menkhaus took the 500-yard freestyle event title with a 4:48.17 time, while adding a third place finish in the 1000-yard free (10:02.14). Tsien Ee Tan also finished the 1000-yard free in second place 10:01.22.
Riccardo Domenico captured the 100-yard free title in 46.73.
Earning a pair of third place finishes, Brandt Hudson posted a 1:43.70 200-yard freestyle and a 1:55.57 200-yard back stroke.
Paul Cozzens earned a second place finish in the 400-yard IM off of a 4:08.92 time, while also earning fourth place finish in the 200-yard fly.
In relays the Aces took three top two finishes, including a first place women’s 200-yard medley 1:34.74, teamed by Kristy Kupfer, Sage Moore, Sonsoles Agaeyo and Emma Hennessy.
The Aces will next be in action on Oct. 12 against Eastern Illinois at home in the Wyttenoach Pool.
Courtesy: St. Louis Athletics
Saint Louis swimmers turned in 15 top-three finishes Sunday afternoon at the Butler Double Dual Meet.
The Billiken women’s team posted a 2-1 record, defeating Butler (166-62) and Evansville (127-107) and losing a close decision against Xavier (120-108). In the men’s competition, SLU was edged by Evansville (107-98) and fell to Xavier (126-79).
Claire Koh led the SLU women with a victory in the 1000 freestyle (10:33.46) and a third-place effort in the 400 IM (4:40.79). Lindsey Turner was a winner in the 500 freestyle (5:17.47).
Natalie Daniel finished second in the 50 freestyle (24.91) and third in the 100 freestyle (53.60), while Lauren Payton placed third in the 200 butterfly (2:09.37) and 200 freestyle (1:58.18). Bri Hodgkins and Mary First were second in the 200 butterfly (2:07.52) and third in the 50 freestyle (24.99), respectively.
For the men’s team, Janssen Gamilla touched first in the 200 butterfly (1:53.21) and placed third in the 50 freestyle (21.99). Collin O’Brien (2:08.32 in the 200 breaststroke), Matthew Terrian (21.85 in the 50 freestyle) and Kade Johnson (4:49.78 in the 500 freestyle) turned in second-place finishes, and Preston Waldusky was third in the 400 IM (4:14.44).
Saint Louis competes in the Show-Me Showdown Friday, Oct. 4, in Columbia, Missouri.