Location: Berkeley, CA, USA
City of Berkeley is accepting applications for Assistant Aquatics Coordinator to fill two temporary, hourly vacancies. This class is responsible for assisting with the organization and direction of City aquatics programs. Incumbents assist in planning, directing, and implementing Citywide water sports and aquatics center activities. Specialized knowledge of advanced swimming techniques and acceptable standards and methods of pool maintenance and water quality control is required. This class is distinguished from Aquatics Coordinator in that the latter has overall supervisory responsibility for City aquatics centers and aquatics programs.
Typical duties include:
- Assists in aquatics center and program planning, organization and implementation
- Recommends staffing, coordinates staff assignments and program scheduling and participates in the recruitment, interviewing, testing and training of new staff
- Completes staff evaluations and organizes training and safety practices sessions
- Writes staff training materials
- Monitors the progress and effectiveness of aquatics programs and recommends necessary improvements
- Updates brochures and poster layouts, prepares mailing lists and arranges for publicity in local media
- Sets up fund raising events and activities such as swim-a-thons
- Organizes and directs volunteers for specialized aquatics programs
- Provides volunteer training and organizes recognition events
- Surveys program participants to develop program feedback
- Monitors the collection and deposit of program receipts
- Handles aquatics section payroll and prepares periodic program reports
- Participates in the preparation of program budgets and quarterly reports
- Monitors supply needs and requisitions necessary supplies, materials and equipment
- Plans, organizes, schedules and staffs aquatics programs and coordinates swim team and program schedules
- Enforces safety and operating procedures; on an assigned basis supervises a City aquatics center and lifeguards as necessary
- Sets up aquatics facility rentals
- Performs pool and pool area maintenance checks for aquatics centers and observes program and staff activities
- Participates in special maintenance and “clean up” projects
Equivalent to graduation from high school
Four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience in recreation or aquatics program planning, coordination or leadership which included one (1) year of lead experience in the principles and techniques of effective supervision. College level coursework in recreation, physical education or closely related field may be substituted for the experience on a year for year basis.
Must possess a valid Water Safety Instruction Card which requires an advanced Life Saving Certificate and successful completion of first aid and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) training.
How to Apply
Go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com//berkeley/default.cfm
Applicants must submit the following:
- City of Berkeley Employment Application
- Supplemental Questionnaire
- Copy of Water Safety Instructor Card, advanced Life Saving certificate, and CPR and first aid certificate.
2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704