Date posted: May 27, 2022
Location: Geneva, NY, USA
Graduate Assistant Swimming and Diving Coach
Hobart William Smith Colleges
Location: Geneva, NY
Open Date: May 19, 2022
The Hobart and William Smith Swim & Dive Graduate Assistant Coach is responsible for assisting with the organization and management of the competitive NCAA Division III women’s swimming and diving team and additionally, beginning in 2022-23, the men’s swimming and diving program. This position will work with both teams.
The position responsibilities will include teaching and coaching student-athletes for successful competition; supporting student-athletes’ academic success; recruiting prospective students; scouting opponents; fundraising; developing alumnae/alumni and parent relations; team travel planning; administrative tasks; and other duties as assigned.
Hobart and William Smith coaches are expected to utilize an ethical approach to training, competing, mentoring and recruiting.
Teaching and Coaching:
- teach student-athletes all related principles and rules of the sport
- assist in the preparation, implementation and evaluation of practice and race plans
- operate digital platforms to develop training, practice and race plans
- maintain an exemplary standard of conduct, which reflects the highest level of professionalism and good judgment
- be knowledgeable of and compliant with all institutional, department, NCAA and conference policies, rules and regulations
Counseling and Advisement of Student-Athletes:
- develop and maintain effective communication with student-athletes
- reinforce academic success as a priority
- encourage student-athletes to foster a positive relationship with faculty, deans and staff
- effectively recruit prospective student-athletes under the direction of the head coach and consistent with the Colleges’ mission
- maintain the sport-specific recruiting electronic database
- recruit student-athletes who coincide with the academic profile of HWS students
- maintain open communication with other Hobart and William Smith coaches regarding shared prospects
- maintain active membership in professional sport organizations
- pursue formal and informal educational opportunities
- participate in department seminars
- promote the sport and Hobart and William Smith Athletics in area communities
- maintain a positive relationship with interested constituents (e.g. youth groups, civic organizations, media)
- assist in the planning and management of fundraising activities
- develop a positive relationship with Hobart and William Smith alums and parents
Bachelor’s degree required. Degree(s) in physical education, kinesiology, education or related field preferred. Candidates must demonstrate strong potential to teach, lead and counsel college student-athletes and have enthusiasm for the recruiting duties of the position. The candidate must be a person of integrity, high ethical standards, have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. The candidate must demonstrate a commitment to the NCAA Division III philosophy and mission of HWS Athletics. Competence with technology resources and a current U.S. driver’s license are vital to fulfilling the responsibilities of this position. CPR and First Aid certification required.
Evening and weekend work are required. This position description is not all-inclusive as other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned.
Terms of Employment
Must maintain a cumulative GPA of a 2.75.
Employment begins August 1, 2022 and ends May 31, 2023
All graduate assistants must be accepted into the Master’s of Arts in Higher Education Leadership at Hobart and William Smith Colleges as part time students. Maintaining good academic standing, contributing in the classroom setting, managing their time effectively and balancing their schoolwork along with their GA duties is a priority for all parties. Here is the link: https://www2.hws.edu/academics/master-of-arts-in-higher-education-leadership/curriculum/
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume and the names with contact information of at least three (3) professional references to our application service, Interfolio using the link on the right of the page. Background and MVR check required.
If you have a question or need help on uploading your application materials, please contact Interfolio’s support team at [email protected] or call 1-877-997-8807 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. through 6 p.m., EST, Monday through Friday.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/3105967