Breakdown of the turn:
This transition is essentially half of a backstroke turn and half of a freestyle turn. As you come in to the wall on your back, cross your top arm across your face and reach for the wall. Do not turn past your side before touching the wall! A legal transition requires swimmers to not break the plane until their hand hits the wall. Rotate your hand so your fingers are pointing down when you touch the wall. When you touch the wall, touch on your side. Flip over, using your hand as leverage to twist your body, so your feet hit the wall while you are on your side. Push off in to a streamline and breaststroke pullout. Speed in to the wall creates momentum to help you through each phase of the turn.
If you’re having a hard time wrapping your head around the transition as a whole, try this progression one-by-one:
- Start on your stomach! Swim freestyle into the wall, touch the wall with one hand. Then go in to a regular freestyle flip turn into a breaststroke pullout off the wall.
- Now focus on your hand placement. Stay on your stomach, but this time, when you touch the wall turn your hand so your fingers are pointing downwards. Use your hand to leverage your turn. Flip, and go into your breaststroke pullout.
- Switch to your side. Kick into the wall on your side with one arm out, working on the same hand position and flip.
- Once you feel comfortable on your side, try kicking in to the wall on your back. Focus on reaching your arm across your face, but do not rotate past your side! Touch the wall, fingers down, and flip into your breaststroke pullout.
- Next, switch to backstroke into the transition. Focus on stroke count and practicing the timing and using your momentum to take you through the rest of the turn progression.
Keep in mind that this turn takes practice. Have patience, take your time, and keep at it. This turn is the fastest back-to-breast transition in the pool when executed correctly.
Take a look at Olympic Gold Medalist Darian Townsend, who has this turn down pat!
A3® Performance™ is a leading competitive swim brand dedicated to the development of swim products and training tools that optimize learning, improve technique and enhance the overall experience of the swimmer. A3® Performance™ has chosen to build our brand through committed, passionate professionals. This insures that our customers will be educated about the benefits and the quality of A3® Performance™ products. Whether you have an existing business or are planning a new venture, we are committed to helping you learn about our products, educate customers, and provide the highest level of service in the swim industry. Our business model is designed to make you an expert, make you profitable and allow you the flexibility to control when and how you sell. For a road map to success and to learn more about becoming an A3® Performance™ Dealer contact us
Follow A3 Performance on Twitter on here.
Like A3 Performance on Facebook here.
Courtesy of A3 Performance, a SwimSwam partner