2017 SPEEDO JUNIOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
- August 8 – 12, 2017
- East Meadow, NY (Long Island)
- Meet Central
- Meet info
- Psych sheet
- Prelims Timeline
- Live results
- Day 4 finals heat sheet
GIRLS 200 FREESTYLE – FINALS
- WJR: 1:55.16 8/7/2014 Katie Ledecky, USA
- Meet: 1:58.26 8/11/2011 Lia Neal, Asphalt Green
- 13-14 NAG: 1:58.53 – Cynthia ‘Sippy’ Woodhead
- 15-16 NAG: 1:55.06 – Missy Franklin
- 17-18 NAG: 1:54.43 – Katie Ledecky
- Easop Lee, NBAC 2:00.09
- Kenisha Liu, Brea Aquatics 2:00.34
- Lauren Pitzer, Lakeside Aquatic Club 2:00.39
Easop Lee of NBAC took the Jr National title here tonight, going 2:00.08. Despite three girls being entered in this meet with times under 2:00, nobody was able to get under that mark tonight. Kenisha Liu of Brea Aquatics was right behind Lee at 2:00.34, with Lakeside Aquatic Club’s Lauren Pitzer just a touch behind Liu at 2:00.39. Pitzer was out hard in 58.49 (nobody else was out nearly that fast) and held on to get third.
Enfinity Aquatics’ Olivia Carter was also under 2:01, going 2:00.67 for fourth.
Taking the B-final was Magnolia’s Lucie Nordmann, who put together a very strong race. She finished with a 2:00.01, nearly breaking the 2:00 barrier.
BOYS 200 FREESTYLE – FINALS
- WJR: 1:47.00 7/2/2017 Maxime Rooney, USA
- Meet: 1:48.64 Caeleb Dressel, Bolles
13-14 NAG: 1:53.31 – Trey Freeman/Aldan Johnston
- 15-16 NAG: 1:48.64 – Caeleb Dressel
- 17-18 NAG: 1:45.99 – Michael Phelps
- Alexander Zettle, Lakeside Aquatic Club 1:49.13
- Jack LeVant, North Texas Nadadores 1:50.25
- Carson Foster, Mason Manta Rays 1:50.44
The race was set between three boys, with Alexander Zettle, Carson Foster, and Jack LeVant well ahead of the rest of the field. Zettle was untouchable in the back-half, winding up on top with a 1:49.13 to post the #15 time in 17-18 history.
LeVant swam a 1:50.25 to take 2nd, followed by Foster in 1:50.44 for 3rd. Foster sits 11th in 15-16 history in this race.
Notably, in the C final, Dare Rose of Scarlet Aquatics broke the 13-14 NAG record with a 1:53.30 to shave .01 off of Trey Freeman’s/Aldan Johnston’s mark. In the B final, Pleasantville Aquatics’ Destin Lasco swam a big 1:50.30 to move to #7 in the 15-16 historical rankings. Lasco’s time would’ve been good for third in the A final.
GIRLS 200 BREASTSTROKE – FINALS
- WJR: 2:19.64 8/30/2015 Viktoria Gunes, Turkey
- Meet: 2:26.35 8/13/2012 Allie Szekely, Central Bucks Swim Team
- 13-14 NAG: 2:25.75 – Amanda Beard
- 15-16 NAG: 2:25.35 – Anita Nall
- 17-18 NAG: 2:24.47 – Lilly King
- Zoie Hartman, Crow Canyon 2:28.09
- Claire Donan, Triton Swimming 2:30.21
- Rachel Ramey, Texas Ford 2:30.25
Just as she did in the 100 breast when she won it the other night, Zoie Hartman swam confidently and charged her way under the 2:30 barrier with a lifetime best 2:28.09 for the junior national title tonight. Hartman, 16, now ranks 10th all-time in the 15-16 age group.
2nd place Claire Donan of Triton Swimming also moved up those rankings, the 15-year-old dropping down to a 2:30.21, ranking her 22nd now. 3rd went to Texas Ford’s Rachel Ramey, just behind Donan at 2:30.25.
Kaki Christensen of Chelsea Piers and Laura Goettler of Lake Erie Silver each had nice drops from prelims. Christensen went from 2:33.55 to 2:32.29 to take 4th, followed by 15-year-old Goettler, who went from a prelims 2:34.94 to 2:32.62.
BOYS 200 BREASTSTROKE – FINALS
- WJR: 2:08.71 4/15/2017 Qin Haiyaing, China
Meet: 2:12.17 8/2/2015 Reece Whitley, Penn Charter
- 13-14 NAG: 2:15.84 – Ethan Dang
- 15-16 NAG: 2:11.30 – Reece Whitley
- 17-18 NAG: 2:10.92 – Kevin Cordes
- Daniel Roy, King Aquatic Club 2:11.25
- AJ Bornstein, Ridgefield 2:13.96
- Jake Foster, Mason Manta Rays 2:14.34
Daniel Roy was the clear favorite to win this, and he lived up to that expectation fully with a 2:11.25. Though Jake Foster jumped out to the lead at the first 50, Roy stormed back and took control on the way home. That time was a best and a meet record, and he comes just shy of Kevin Cordes’ 2:10.92 17-18 NAG record.
Foster’s 2:14.32 made it up to #4 in the 15-16 age group, while Ethan Dang‘s 2:15.13 sits at 8th. Ridgefield’s AJ Bornstein was 2nd to the wall tonight with a 2:13.96. 14-year-old Matt Fallon of Somerset Valley went a PR 2:19.73, and he moves closer to cracking the 13-14 top 5 (he’s at #6). Jake Foster actually is #5 in 13-15 with a 2:19.19.
GIRLS 100 BACKSTROKE – FINALS
- WJR: 59.34 7/2/2016 Minna Atherton, Australia
- Meet: 59.77 8/14/2009 Rachel Bootsma, Aquajets
- 13-14 NAG: 1:00.26 – Regan Smith
- 15-16 NAG: 59.18 – Missy Franklin
- 17-18 NAG: 58.33 – Missy Franklin
- Isabelle Stadden, FAST 1:01.23
- Lucie Nordmann, Magnolia 1:01.63
- Grace Haskett, Indiana Swim Team 1:01.88
After Lucie Nordmann took a bunch of time off in the 200 free B final, she looked ready for another big swim in the 100 back. It was FAST’s Isabelle Stadden, though, at 1:01.23 who got the win. Nordmann was just behind at 1:01.63.
Indiana Swim Team’s Grace Haskett was out very fast, and she held on to grab the bronze with a 1:01.78. Breaking 1:02 for the first time, like Haskett, was Beach Cities’ Alexandra Crisera at 1:01.88.
16-year-old Katharine Berkoff of the Missoula Aquatic Club was the last finisher faster than 1:02, going 1:01.93.
BOYS 100 BACKSTROKE – FINALS
- WJR: 53.35 8/9/2017 Kliment Kolesnikov, RUS
- Meet: 54.99 8/2/2015 Michael Andrew, Indie Swimming
- 13-14 NAG: 56.83 – Michael Andrew
- 15-16 NAG: 53.76 – Ryan Murphy
- 17-18 NAG: 53.38 – Ryan Murphy
- Carson Foster, Mason Manta Rays 55.61
- Shaine Casas, Nitro 55.79
- Glen Cowand, Katy Aquatic Team 56.19
Carson Foster of Mason adds to his golds in the 200 back and 200 fly with a win in the 100 back, going 55.61. That time ties him with Pat Murphy and Jacob Pebley for the #8 time in 15-16 history in this event, though Foster has over a year left in the age group to keep climbing the rankings.
Nitro’s Shaine Casas was also under 56 seconds with a 55.79, while Katy’s Glen Cowand posted a 56.19 to finish third.
In the B final, Jason Park took more than 1.5 seconds off of his prelims time to put up a very strong 56.02– that would’ve been good for third place had he swum it in the A final.
GIRLS 4X200 FREE RELAY
- Meet: 8:10.13 8/8/2013 York YMCA, York YMCA-MA (C Harnish, N Price, E Ilgenfritz, M Small)
- Magnolia Aquatic Club 8:10.64
- Austin Swim Club 8:13.97
- SwimMAC 8:15.34
Magnolia got a big lead after Lucie Nordmann dropped a 2:00.78 to lead-off, and they held the lead the rest of the way to win the race in 8:10.64, just off of York YMCA’s meet record. Lillie Nordmann, 15, anchored in 2:02.11. Austin Swim Club was 2nd helped by 2:02’s from Dakota Luther and Diana Dunn, while SwimMAC picked up third in 8:15.34.