2016 MARIA LENK TROPHY OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Friday, April 15th – Wednesday, April 20th
- Olympic Aquatics Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Prelims 9:30am local/8:30am EDT; Finals 5:30pm local/4:30pm EDT
- Brazilian Olympic Selection Criteria
- Maria Lenk Start List
- Meet Schedule
- Real-Time Results
- Qualifiers After Day 5
Here’s a look at some interesting facts from day 5 of the Maria Lenk Trophy Open Championships, with plenty of historically significant swims occurring on the fifth day in Brazil.
- The women’s 100 free saw Etiene Medeiros and Larissa Oliveira both break the national record in order to qualify under the ‘A’ standard (Medeiros was 54.26 at Brazil Open, Oliveira 54.03 at Maria Lenk). This is the first time two women have qualified individually in the 100 free for Brazil since the Seoul Olympics in 1988.
- The women’s 200 breast podium was the first one ever at Maria Lenk to include only foreigners, with Argentina’s Julia Sebastian and Macarena Cellabos going 1-2 and Japan’s Sae Saito finishing 3rd.
- Rafaela Raurich‘s prelim swim of 56.09 in the 100 freestyle was the fastest ever by a 15 year-old Brazilian.
- Raurich’s 200 free from earlier in the meet is also the fastest ever for a 15 year-old from Brazil.
- Also in the 200 freestyle Gabrielle Roncatto‘s time of 1:59.22 is the fastest ever for a 17 year-old in Brazil, and is also the fastest junior time ever nationally (17-19 years). Maria Paula Heitmann (1:59.95) ranks 2nd all-time for 17 year-olds.