Riley Kishman and Susan LaGrand each won dual individual titles to lead Grand Rapids Catholic Central to Michigan high school state titles in Division 3.
Kishman, a junior, won the first and last individual events of the meet. She kicked things off with a 1:51.01 win in the 200 free, beating out the field by a whopping three seconds. She’d return at the meet’s end to win the 100 breast in 1:03.20, only about half a second off the Division 3 state record.
One event after Kishman’s 200 free win, LaGrand paced another 200-yard race. The sophomore went 2:06.97 to blow out the 200 IM field by almost three seconds. LaGrand’s second win came in the 100 fly, where her 56.85 was the day’s only Division 3 state record.
Grand Rapids Catholic Central also won both free relays, though the names of the swimmers on those relays were not available. The 200 free relay went 1:39.12 to win by almost two seconds and the 400 free relay was 3:36.17 to win by almost three.
St. Clair beat out Grand Rapids Catholic Central for the 200 medley relay title, helping them ultimately win a tight team battle for second place. Once again individual swimmers names were not available, but St. Clair was 1:47.54.
St. Clair’s Grace Shinske was also the state champ in the 100 back, going 56.27 to cap off her senior year with a state title.
Other individual winners:
- Hamilton senior Rileigh Eding topped the 50 free field in 24.04.
- In 1-meter diving, it was Allegan senior Erin Isola who picked up the win, scoring 314.90 points.
- Tecumseh was fifth as a team, getting a 100 free state title from junior Karlee Marsh at 51.80.
- Evelyn Vandemark of Alma took the 500f ree in 5:11.43, just off the 5:10.76 she put up in prelims.
Top 5 Teams:
- Grand Rapids Catholic Central – 299
- St. Clair – 199
- Holland Christian – 197
- Cranbrook Kingswood – 190
- Tecumseh – 129