Applications due 04/30/18
The Head Swim Coach is responsible for general administration of the competitive swim program as assigned by YMCA branch leadership. Individual will be responsible with ensuring the delivery of high quality programs and highly motivated staff as well as meeting standards set forth by the YMCA of Metro Detroit.
- Lead the Macomb YMCA Marlins swim team in accordance with YMCA’s highest standards of quality and safety.
- Work with branch executive director and aquatic manager to ensure program structure meets the needs of community and strategic goals for YMCA aquatics programming.
- Develops a team of staff which will continue to promote the YMCA Mission and Character Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Recruit and evaluate all staff and coaches in conjunction with Executive Director and/or Aquatic Manager.
- Ensure that all coaches maintain all necessary certifications.
- Recommend opportunities for coaches to broaden skills at coach’s clinics to keep our team on the cutting edge in competitive swimming
- In conjunction with coaches, plans positive goal setting strategies for all swimmers.
- Maintains positive, professional communications and interactions with the Macomb Y Marlins Parent Group.
- Meet with branch leadership as needed.
- Perform other appropriate duties integral to the success of the competitive swim program.
- Work with branch leadership to input activities, maintain and run rosters.
- Work with branch leadership to prepare program promotional materials that meet brand guidelines.
- In conjunction with parent volunteer, manage the “Team Unify” website and data base.
- Support team communications including program information, practice schedules information, etc.
- Ensure that all employees are trained in and following DayForce time and attendance policies.
- In conjunction with the Aquatics Manager, assist in scheduling of lifeguards for off-site swim team programming
- Work within assigned budget guidelines from supervisor.
- Work with manager to schedule and monitor staff hours using DayForce, meeting all payroll deadlines.
- Review financial reports with supervisor as needed
- Support in reporting team financial performance to parent volunteers
- Participate in branch annual campaign activities.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with
a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships
to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Knowledge of competitive swimming and USA Swimming and YMCA swimming rules.
- Current certification in ARC / YMCA / Ellis Lifeguard Certification / CPR for the Professional Rescuer or equivalent, and First Aid, including Oxygen Administration.
- YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming and Diving (within 30 days of start).
- Minimum of 4 years of personal competitive swimming experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of swim team coaching experience.
- Computer experience with Word, Excel and Team Unify programs.
- Skills in organizational management, staff and volunteer leadership, human relations and team building. Must be able to use good judgment and problem solving skills in daily strategic and emergency situations.
Physical and Mental Demands:
Maintain the physical requirements necessary to maintain certification in Ellis Lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid and Oxygen Administration.
Incumbent must be friendly, enthusiastic, and a genuine representative of the Macomb Family YMCA Marlins Swim Team. Must be able to think in the abstract, solve problems, make decisions, instruct, evaluate and remember. Must be able to make and/or assist in hiring decisions of the coaching staff and work with YMCA branch leadership.
The YMCA of Metro Detroit reserves the right to change this job description as conditions change. I have read and understand this job description and agree to perform the responsibilities as written.
How to Apply
Hourly rate and all other questions can be addressed and discussed at the interview process. Please email Steve Krankota at [email protected] with a cover letter and resume. Thank you
10 North River Road
Mt. Clemens MI 48043