Date posted: February 6, 2023
Location: 1105 Parkway Drive, Goldsboro, NC, USA
Job Title: Head Competitive Swim Team Coach
FLSA Status: Exempt
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit charitable organization committed to strengthening the community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. The full-time Head Competitive Swim Coach position will oversee the GOLD Sharks swim team, an established,
growing, year-round competitive program affiliated with USA Swimming, North Carolina Swimming, and YMCA
Swimming, which serves a wide range of swimmer ages, abilities and ethnicities. This dynamic program offers
a competitive youth swim team, Swim Academy and the GOLD Masters swim team. The essential functions
will be carried out in keeping with the goals and mission of the Goldsboro Family YMCA, intentionally fostering
a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined.
$36,000 – $45,000 with competitive benefits package based on experience and qualifications.
The Goldsboro Family YMCA, located one hour east of Raleigh and 90 minutes from the North Carolina coast,
features a spacious main building which houses one of the largest aquatic centers in North Carolina including
an 8-lane, indoor 50-meter competition pool with spectator gallery, as well as a four lane, 25-yard warm
water therapy pool.
• Establishes a team culture that promotes sportsmanship, character development and parallels with the
YMCA mission statement: “To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy
spirit, mind and body for all.”
• Leads the swim team staff, provides supervision, mentoring and evaluations of assistants, and hires staff
• Creates and implements practice workouts designed to develop swimmers while inspiring them to
maximize individual potential, as they learn and grow in a positive, enthusiastic, fun environment.
• Together with GOLD Parent Committee and staff, 1) hosts and organizes 3-5 swim meets annually (serves
as Meet Director, submits and carries out meet sanctions, secures volunteer support, recruits teams to
participate in home meets, promotes meets locally); 2) secures financial support and gift in kind
donations; 3) schedules practices, meets, promotional events and team events.
• Ensures that all USA Swimming and YMCA Swimming rules are followed and that the program abides by
all Safe Sport regulations.
• Actively recruits program participants and volunteers in the community. Promotes GOLD Swimming and
the sport of swimming locally through opportunities such as operating summer swim camps and summer
swim league, and teaching clinics for high school swimmers and their coaches and supporting them
throughout their season.
• Communicates team information regularly to parents via parent meetings, zoom meetings, and weekly
emails and maintains team website and social media. Ensures that the GOLD Swimming team handbook is
current and distributed to team families.
• Manages all administrative functions of the swim team including submission of meet entries, athlete and
team registrations, management of team records and record boards, team finances and budget, etc., and
purchases swim team t-shirts, swim caps, meet awards, supplies and equipment.
• Attends North Carolina Swimming LSC meetings such as House of Delegates and YMCA coaches’ meetings
(either virtually or in person).
• Maintains USA Swimming and YMCA Swimming coaching certifications.
• Builds professional working relationships with YMCA staff, team parents, officials, coaches from other
• Performs all other duties and projects as assigned.
• Inclusion: Embraces all dimensions of diversity by treating all people with dignity, compassion, and
respect; creates a safe environment in which others feel welcome and respected.
• Volunteerism: Shows appreciation and respect for the time, talent, and
contributions of all volunteers.
• Collaboration: Develops & maintains positive relationships with volunteers, members, program
participants and peers at all levels of the organization.
• Critical Thinking & Decision Making: Makes informed decisions based on logic, data, and sound
• Innovation: Explores new ideas, remaining open to new ways of thinking and approaching problems;
improves quickly and appropriately when faced with unexpected circumstances.
• Program & Project Management: Explores new ideas, remaining open to new ways of thinking and
approaching problems; improvises quickly and appropriately when faced with unexpected circumstances.
• Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level
of accomplishment; uses best practices, guidelines as a framework to improve performance; demonstrates
up-to-date knowledge and skills associated with the job; serves with purpose and passion; meets all
required job requirements listed on job description and outlined in department handbook.
Research shows that some candidates apply only if they meet all of the job criteria. If you have passion and intelligence,
even if you are missing some of the below requirements, we encourage you to apply to further discuss your skill set.
• Current Lifeguard/First Aid Certification
• Coach’s Safety Training or willingness to achieve within first month of hire.
• Must be at least 21 years of age and have reliable transportation. Travel is required
• Active USA Swimming Coach certification or willingness to achieve within one month of hire.
• Minimum 2 years of experience coaching with either YMCA or USA Swimming is preferred.
• Accuracy and time management skills are essential.
• Strong desire to succeed. Eager to learn and be a team player. High level of understanding of the
sport to include but not limited to: governance, athletic training, skill development, swimmer
motivation, swimmer education, training plans, parent involvement, competition, and team
• Basic computer skills including email, Hy-tek/Meet Management, Team Unify, MS Office; Daxko
Operations and Daxko Engage.
• Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Strong organizational and verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to communicate with and instruct children ages 5-18.
• Proven problem solver. Strong track record as a technical swim coach with strong leadership skills.
• Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the
employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather) and extreme heat (non-weather).
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 25 pounds. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; walk
and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or
How to Apply
Email resume with 5 references to [email protected]
Visit our team website at www.teamunify.com/team/ncgys/page/home
PO Box 10355 Goldsboro NC 27532