The Indian Valley YMCA is seeking a dynamic, passionate, and capable individual to help lead our successful team.
The Indian Valley Breakers is a USA Swimming/YMCA year round competitive program typically numbers 160 or more swimmers and we plan to grow and get faster! We have swimmers from development level to swimmers very close to YMCA national cuts.
We are part of the Greater Hartford YMCA offers five different swim team, providing serve for more them 700 swimmers, participating at YMCA National every season. Some part time jobs are available with other branches.
Under the supervision of the Aquatic Director, the Head Swim Coach will be responsible for carrying out the overall purpose, goals, objectives and philosophies of the YMCA of Greater Hartford and the YMCA of the USA. The Head Swim Coach should be ready to take the Swim Team Program to the next level.
The Head Swim Coach should greet everyone by using names whenever possible; extend thanks whenever appropriate; make relationship building their number one priority at all times. The Head Swim Coach is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford is always conveyed.
Develops, organizes and implements high quality, member-focused YMCA competitive swimming programs.
Provides a quality experience for everyone, including but not limited to swimmers, swim team parents, members of the Indian Valley YMCA, fellow staff members, vendors, and others.
Treats everyone with courtesy, respect and consideration; displays integrity; listens actively and genuinely; communicates in a clear and pleasant manner; embraces differences among people; demonstrates an active willingness to learn and grow; accepts constructive criticism; and works cooperatively as a team member.
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA
- objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in
- accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships and
- partnerships with community organizations.
- Promotes and models strong character development among program participants and staff;
- encourages habits that foster a strong community and team spirit that is consistent with YMCA core values.
- Understands and completely adopts the Team Philosophy. Then ensure that the (often rotating) board members, assistant coaches and parents all understand and model it as well.
- Attends and league board meetings, and takes charge on any issues that may affect swimmers
- or coaches, vote in line with the coach philosophy and other association coaches.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develop, schedules and directs coaches and volunteers as needed. Reviews
- and evaluates coach performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures
- records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Oversee, support and communicate with the coaching staff. Provide educational opportunities where
- possible to coaching staff and volunteers.
- Develop and implement an appropriate training program, practice schedule and meet schedule for the entire coaching staff and team. Ensure that all other programs and schedules are appropriate for the age, and adhere to the Team Philosophy.
- Develop and implement “dry land” strength, conditioning and nutritional program appropriate for all
- Age and swimming levels.
- The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
- Meet with swimmers and/ or parents to discuss goals and progress, and to ensure that any concerns
- are addressed within a timely manner.
- Proficient using Team Unify, Hytek Meet Manager and Microsoft applications.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Models relationship-building skills in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
- Is knowledgeable of daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Collaborates within the YMCA Aquatic Dept. to properly schedule pool facilities for all competitive swimming activities.
- Coordinates all contracts for outside competitive swimming programs that utilize Countryside YMCA facilities.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 21 years of age preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years as the Head Coach of a competitive swimming program including managing and developing
- two (2) or more assistant coaches
- Up to date in USA and YMCA coaching credentials preferred, or ability to obtain with 30 days or less.
- Proficiency in Hy-Tek and Team Unify.
- Must possess the knowledge and ability to teach all competitive strokes, rules and regulations to team members.
- Must be able to plan practice sessions and swim meets, bring creative programming ideas to the team, maintain equipment and show a responsible attitude toward the team.
- Must adhere to established YMCA Youth Sports philosophies, goals and objectives.
- In addition to the above requirements, it is expected that the Head Swim Coach will bring to his/her position maturity, responsibility, positive values and sincere interest in working with people and shaping young athletes.
- Requirements within 30 days of hire include: completion of:
- Background check
- Completion of YMCA program-specific and trainer certifications.
- YMCA Lifeguard certification or ARC LG/ARC Safety Course for Swim Coaches; CPR; First Aid; AED; • YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming and Diving; YMCA Swim Coach Certification
- Ability to obtain a USA Swimming membership
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
How to Apply
To apply please visit:
11 Pinney St., Ellington, CT 06029