Location: 420 N Colfax St, Byron, IL, USA
Responsible for the complete operation of the Tiger Sharks swim team, including practices, swim meets, team communication, website maintenance, swim meet paperwork, volunteer coordination and fundraising.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must perform each essential duty satisfactorily and demonstrate the following competencies. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Thorough knowledge of competitive swimming strokes, turns, starts and regulations.
• Previous age group swim team coaching experience preferred.
• Possess CPR, First Aid and Safety for Swim Coach certifications or ability to obtain and maintain these certifications.
• Currently registered as an USS swim coach or ability to become registered.
• Knowledge of Hy-Tek Meet Manager and Team Manager software.
• Enjoy working with and teaching others, especially children.
• Ability to interact and effectively control groups of children.
• Excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Independent functioning.
• Ability to work afternoon/evening hours and weekends.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Organize and attend all scheduled practices and swim meets.
• Effectively design and plan a workout curriculum for all levels with the goal of improving swimmer skills and times.
• Provide constant feedback to participants to facilitate improvement.
• Supervise and evaluate assistant and junior coaches.
• Enforce aquatic rules and policies by maintaining constant surveillance of participants.
• Establish and maintain good communication with participants, parents, coaches & supervisors
• Maintain a positive attitude and act in a professional manner when interacting with patrons, program participants, parents and other staff, at all times.
• Verify that swimmers have all required paperwork/registrations/memberships completed.
• Introduce new families to the sport of competitive swimming and answer their questions
• Maintain a positive team environment and enforce our Code of Conduct policy.
• Create a season outline containing practice schedules, meet schedules, workout goals, fundraising goals, and events to present to the Superintendent of Recreation.
• Enter swimmers into swim meet events and provide Superintendent of Recreation with required documents to host teams and/or Illinois Swimming. Communicate swim meet information and entries to parents and swimmers.
• Create and maintain the team’s Team Unify website and Facebook page or communicate necessary information to post with the Byron Park District in order to inform participants and parents of upcoming events, registration deadline, schedule changes, etc.
• Coordinate the operation of all home swim meets, including meet referees, officials, timers, concession workers, etc.
• Act as primary responder in case of injury, accident or illness in the pool area and complete required forms.
• Develop and organize team fundraising as applicable.
• Encourage individuals to obtain swim official certifications and inform them of upcoming training courses.
• Set-up and help maintain facility and equipment.
• Follow all Byron Park District policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Maintain good safety awareness and follow all safety guidelines and procedures.
• Wear appropriate Byron Park District, Byron Tiger Sharks or swim attire.
• Complete required US swim coach trainings and attend in-service trainings and staff meetings.
• Complete additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
This position must be able to remain in or near chlorinated water for extended periods of time. This position may occasionally move objects weighing up to 10 lbs. This position will be required to move about the pool deck and office, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, bend, twist, climb, and reach. This position should be physically fit and have the endurance to perform CPR.
This position must be able to be exposed to pool chemicals and indoor swimming pool conditions, including high humidity and varying degrees of temperature and light. The noise level of the environment is moderate to loud.
This position must also be able to work in a stressful environment due to the responsibility for the safety of patrons and the possibility of working with special needs individuals while remaining in control and resolving problems with participants. This position must have a positive attitude, be able to multi-task and handle daily interruptions successfully. This position must have strong problem solving skills, be flexible and have good verbal and non-verbal communication skills; along with the ability to follow directives and give clear direction to others. This position may feel stressed while working with children and parents with differing competitive philosophies.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements and effects of working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job when circumstances change: e.g., emergencies, rush jobs, changes in personnel, workload, technological development, etc.
How to Apply
420 N. Colfax St.