Applications due 08/30/22
Date posted: August 7, 2022
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Located in one of the most desirable and diverse cities in the world, the North York Aquatic Club (NYAC) is an established leader in competitive swimming in Canada. We strive to create a pathway to excellence for our young athletes, ensuring success in life and in swimming while maintaining a safe, healthy and positive environment for all.
First established in 1958, NYAC has helped build the sport of competitive swimming in the Greater Toronto Area, in Ontario, and in Canada for over 50 years. NYAC swimmers have gone on to compete at a National and International level, including representing Canada at the past 2 Olympics and World Championships.
Today, NYAC has a robust competitive and pre-competitive program with over 600 swimmers, led by a talented group of dedicated coaches, supported by an experienced administrative staff, an engaged membership, and an enthusiastic and supportive Board of Directors. NYAC programs are hosted at pools throughout the Greater Toronto area, including the world class Toronto PanAm Sports Centre.
NYAC is embarking on the roll out of an ambitious long term strategic plan, and is looking for a seasoned GM who will help lead the club and its stakeholders to execute this plan and prepare the club for Paris ‘24, LA ‘28 and beyond.
NYAC is seeking applicants for the position of General Manager (GM). Reporting to the Board of Directors, the GM is responsible for the organization’s overall achievement of its strategic plan, mission and financial objectives through executing day-to-day dryside operations including managing and directing the dryside staff members, administering policies, and supporting the Director of Performance (DOP) and Director of Coaching (DOC) with the development and growth of NYAC’s aquatic programs. The GM will liaise and build relationships with community and sport affiliated stakeholders for the purposes of public relations, membership engagement, facilities management, sponsorship, and fundraising. The GM will be responsible for addressing member inquiries as well as issue/crisis management, as necessary.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished leader with proven ability and success in growing revenue, managing staff members, and working productively with the volunteer Board of Directors. Commitment to collaboration, team work, consensus building and being responsive to all questions, complaints and concerns from members, staff and the Board of Directors is expected.
A history of working in the sport of swimming or a passion for a similar sports organization – understanding how they are organized and operate from small community/grassroots to World Championships and Olympic Games level – is what we seek. The candidate must have a passion for developing talent and patience for the individuals alongside this journey. Inspiring and energizing others around the vision for the club’s future is critical for this position. Demonstrated success with earning the respect of subordinates, peers, and superiors, along with building a culture “for the athletes’ that permeates the staff culture is what will make you successful in this role!
Administration, Program Development and Strategic Partnerships
- Supports the DOP, DOC, and BOD in the development and implementation of, strategic, operational, organizational and financial plans.
- At all times, and without exception, the GM will support the DOP and DOC’s execution of the clubs operational and strategic plans to the best of their ability
- Creates successful and implementable strategies for corporate partnerships, public relations, fundraising and marketing campaigns.
- Develops collegial, fiscal, and partnering relationships with key club partners, including all sports affiliated organizations, including Swim Ontario, Swimming Canada, facility partners, sponsors, and other organizations that participate in or have interest in swimming.
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and must develop outreach programs to diverse committees and lead the club’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion committee with quarterly reports to the BOD.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and evolution of strategic and tactical plans in partnership with the office staff, DOC, DOP and BOD.
- Develops monthly reporting, in conjunction with the DOP and DOC, to present to the BOD at board meetings every month, as required.
- Develops quarterly reporting to the BOD in conjunction with the DOP and DOC on behalf of the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
- Develops an organizational focus on member service, adherence to principles of Safe Sports, anti-bullying and a positive athletic excellence.
- Leads the acquisition, retention and development of wet and dry training facilities in NYAC operating areas.
- Develops, nurtures, and guides key club volunteer committees – including fundraising, sponsorship, events, and officiating; leads volunteer development and engagement for the club.
- Responsible for the management of team wear suppliers and distribution.
- Ensures compliance with NYAC’s policies and procedures, including its Code of Conduct, articles and bylaws as well as Swim Ontario/Swimming Canada policies and procedures, and ensures adherence to good governance principles.
- Manages and recruits, develops and conducts performance management of office staff.
- Be available during NYAC hosted meets (8-9 weekends per year) to assist with managing the meet in support of the club meet management teams.
Revenue, Budget, and Finance
- Works with staff, Treasurer, and BOD to establish and operate within a designated budget, including the active management of budget, and forecasted budget variances in line with supporting DOP, DOC and our strategic plan.
- Responsible for the financial accounting, cash management and general finance function of the club, including provision of financial statements to the F&A committee or treasurer as required.
- Responsible for ensuring insurance policies are up to date and on file maintaining the proper insurance to cover the club for competitions, practice, team travel and swimming lessons are maintained.
- Proactively develops existing and new club revenue streams; explores business opportunities to grow revenue.
- In conjunction with dryside staff and volunteer committees, leads develops and executes fundraising programs as well as strategies to acquire/retain sponsors.
Communications and Marketing
- Leads by example – Operates with an “open door” and an “open mind”
- Solicits input and perspective on key issues and projects – an active listener who builds consensus and finds the common ground in resolving issues within the club and its stakeholders.
- Keeps the staff, BOD, DOC,DOP and volunteer constituencies updated/informed on important issues.
- Acts as spokesperson and representative for NYAC in engaging with the media and community at large.
- Solicits input and perspective on key issues and projects – an active listener who builds consensus and finds the common ground in resolving issues.
- Oversees the public facing view of the club including social media, website, news articles, press releases and advertising
- Maintains regular communication with members keeping them up to date on club events, policies, and other necessary information through weekly newsletter updates, and other regular communications as required
- Develops marketing strategies that promote all programming and NYAC as well as specific events and athletes.
- Coordinates advertising, promotions, and public relations activities to assure the growth of NYAC membership and brand.
- Demonstrated administrative leadership experience and a track record of growth and success with significant business/financial management and strategy development experience.
- Demonstrated leadership within a high performance swim culture that supports the development of podium level athletes at a regional, national, and international level.
- You have a dynamic personality with ability to motivate, inspire, and empower the teams/programs to succeed, operating with an open door policy.
- You have a strong reputation of authenticity, integrity, and accomplishments with peers and other industry executives that will garner instant credibility within and outside of the organization.
General Management Skills
- The GM should be a master-of-resources to draw upon both staff and volunteer leaders, all internal and external stakeholders, in successfully executing the clubs programs and strategies
- Demonstrated strong organization and prioritization skills to effectively manage multiple concurrent deliverables.
- You have a customer service mindset and have had success in actively prioritizing customer /member experience in designing and delivering programs; your enthusiasm for member experience helps train and guide club strategy and program development;
- You have excellent analytical, problem-solving and judgment skills, and you are proficient with computer software applications.
- You have strong writing skills to prepare reports.
- Demonstrated knowledge of meet management and officials role is an asset.
- Experience in the development and active management of club KPI’s that indicate for the club, staff and the BOD how the club is performing against operational and strategic objectives – helping keep the organization on track
Innovative Marketing and Sales Professional
- You are savvy in marketing and building a business while being passionate about selling the club to the community sponsors, media, and television.
- Demonstrated knowledge of how to leverage connections to open doors and drive revenue.
- You can develop new ways of creating events that will allow the club to exceed sponsors’ expectations and harness the continued growth of swimming.
A Passionate Leader.
- Dynamic personality with ability to motivate, inspire, and empower the teams/programs to succeed. Fosters a collaborative culture of consistently meeting, if not exceeding, expectations on time and within budget. Has the emotional intelligence to rise above the noise and frustrations that arise from time to time.
Skilled Team Builder.
- Enjoys building and leading teams with diverse perspectives and talents while creating a great place to work for employees where everyone is held accountable for delivering results and individual and team victories are valued and celebrated
Supporter of Athletes, Coaches, Staff and Volunteers.
- Knows that NYAC exists because of and for the athletes
- You can recognize that the athletes, coaches, staff and volunteers will embrace a leader who embraces them and understands their value.
- Advocates for and protect their interests and safety.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and skills.
How to Apply
If you are qualified and interested, please send an email explaining why you are the right candidate for this position, along with your resume to [email protected]