2016 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS DAY 2
- Monday, May 16th – Sunday, May 22nd
- Prelims: 10:00 AM (London Time) / 5:00 AM (Eastern Time)
- Finals: 6:00 PM (London Time) / 1:00 PM (Eastern Time)
- London Aquatics Center, London, UK
- Meet Central
- Psych Sheet
- Live Results
- Live Stream
Reigning Olympic champion Ruta Meilutyte of Lithuania defended her top seed from prelims in the women’s 100 breast semi-finals, posting the top time of 1:06.16. That time eclipses the European Championship meet record previously held by Rikke Moller Pedersen of Denmark in 1:06.23. Pedersen posted that time in the final two years ago in Berlin where she won gold. Meilutyte didn’t compete.
Here’s a comparative look at Meilutyte’s splits tonight versus Pedersen’s from 2014:
- Pedersen, 2014 European final: 31.14 / 1:06.23 (35.09)
- Meilutyte, 2016 European semis: 30.80 / 1:06.16 (35.36)
That swim is just off Meilutyte’s best swim of 2016, achieved in March at 1:05.82. She’ll have a good shot at taking down that time in the final tomorrow night. She currently sits 3rd in the world behind only Yuliya Efimova of Russia (who is currently suspended after a positive doping test) and Lilly King of the United States.
The 100 is Meilutyte’s only event of the meet.