Date posted: January 27, 2021
Location: 164 Smith Ridge Road, New Canaan, CT, USA
New Canaan Field Club is seeking a highly-motivated, fun and experienced swim professional to lead an established swim program. Under the direction of the Aquatics Director, the Head Swim Coach oversees three teams of swimmers of all ability levels, and supervises the Assistant Swim Coach. The Head Swim Coach will coordinate and be present for all 4 regular season FCSL Swim Meets as well as both the Divisional Meet and the Counties, which will be held during the 1st week of August.
The Summer Swim Team Coach will be responsible for all aspects of the Field Club’s Summer Swim Team program including but not limited to: setting up pool for practice, breaking down pool after practice, training and educating participants about Swimming Fundamentals, organizing meet rosters and coaching of summer season’s Inter Club meets.
Afternoon practices begin the week after Memorial Day. Morning practices will start the week after school has ended.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to practice for set up and get dry-land ready.
- Promote a fun, safe and team-oriented environment for all participants.
- Provide direct stroke-developing coaching to three teams, five half-days per week.
- Plan and run technical development drills clinics to include stroke, start, turns etc.
- Provide more competitive training for older age groups
- Be willing to get in the water to fine tune stroke mechanics
- Offer encouraging feedback and discuss meet results with swimmer to aid development
- Coordinate with the Aquatics Director regarding home meet organization, practice planning and other pool/deck/locker room issues
- Attend all preseason, regular, and postseason swim meets.
- Coordinate preparation of pool for swim/diving meets with Aquatics Director.
- Plan and attend swim team activities that include, but are not limited to the following: Ice Cream Social/Suit Fitting Events, Time Trial, Blue and White Night, post swim meet BBQ’s, pep rallies, team trip, awards banquet. Work with the Aquatics Director and other Head Water Polo Coach to plan and implement the awards presentation at the end of season awards event
- Prepare all meet entries and record and communicate meet results to parents via email within 24 hours
- Lineups should be posted 24 hours in advance. Ensure fairness and inclusion in lineups for participating aquatics team members.
- Coordinate with the Aquatics Director to communicate information about upcoming meets via email
- Update and maintain all swim team records, bulletin boards and record cases.
- Supervise Assistant Swim Coaches.
- Communicate and meet with Aquatics Co-Chairs on a weekly basis to discuss summer schedules and any other program-related issues. Attend all aquatics staff meetings.
- Attend required FSCL meetings.
US Swim Coach Certifications or equivalent
Experience as head or assistant swim coach
Familiar with phone based timing system – Swimmingly
Good communication with children and swim parents.
Solid organizational skills
Letters of recommendation (3)
Certification Requirements: Current Adult and Child CPR Certificate, Current Advanced First Aid, Water Safety Instructor Certification.
How to Apply
Contact Joe Somma via email with your resume at [email protected] or via phone at 203-829-3097