Date posted: February 6, 2023
Location: Prince William County, VA, USA
The Prince William Swim Club is looking for an energetic and motivated individual to serve as the Head Coach, working with the PWSC Board of Directors to provide leadership, structure, and direction of the club. The Head Coach reports directly to the Board of Directors. The ideal candidate will have an outgoing personality; a growth mindset that works well with our swimmers, other coaches, and parents; valuing the PWSC mission, goals, and intent. This position requires early morning, evening, and weekend work depending on the swim schedule, with approximately 25-30 hours on deck each week. The Head Coach will directly coach and oversee the Senior Groups, consisting of 30-50 swimmers and up to 250 swimmers in the club as a whole. The Head Coach may have to augment coaching to the other groups, if required. The Head Coach also shall hire, retain, and oversee necessary part-time coaching staff along with an Assistant Coach, that coach various age group swimmers at multiple sites. The Head Coach will provide necessary supervision and conduct parent engagement to resolve issues that were unable to be resolved at the lower coaching levels.
- Responsible for the day-to-day coaching operations, hands on guidance and involvement in all aspects of the PWSC, including working with swimmers, parents, coaching staff.
- Responsible for team administration duties, as necessary and all aspects of team management.
- Plan and conduct 2-4 hours per day of on-deck coaching, coaching the Senior group (ages 14+) and Junior Swimmers for up to 2 practice groups or as required.
- Effectively coach various age group levels, setting a strong, positive, enthusiastic, and highly energetic tone for all age groups, as needed.
- Oversee and mentor a variety of experienced part-time coaching staff, with diverse backgrounds, ensuring staff are well prepared and supported in the execution of their duties.
- Ensure coaching staff are up to date on all certifications and requirements, providing opportunities for continued development.
- Coordinate and develop group goals and curriculum.
- Maintain up-to-date performance reports on senior group athletes.
- Communicate effectively with parents, swimmers, and other coaches through a variety of oral and written communication methods to ensure members are well informed of activities and deadlines.
- Plan annual practice and meet schedules.
- Organization and submission of swim meet entries to meet hosts by stated deadlines.
- Attend all scheduled swim meets (1-2 weekends per month), meetings, and team functions as required.
- Conduct swimmer assessments for group placement.
- Other associated duties as may be required.
Requirements and Compensation:
Applicants should have a competitive swimming background and experience with coaching, mentoring, and working with swimmers of all ages and abilities. Must be able to obtain and maintain USA Swimming Membership requirements to include Lifeguarding/First Aid and CPR, Coaches Safety, Safe Sport and concussion certifications and membership in good standing with USA Swimming. Must be able to pass a pre-employment background check. Additional training through USA Swimming may be necessary.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree (exercise science, education, or related field).
- Minimum of 3 years’ successful experience as a Lead Age Group Coach or higher with a USA Swimming team.
- Demonstrated experience with swimmer development at the national level and swimmer retention and recruitment.
- ASCA Level 2 certification or above.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to maintain positive and effective working relationships with coaches, board of directors, parents, and pool operators, and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated proficiency with SWIMS, Team Unify and Hy-Tek, meet entries, and
communication and communication tools such as use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
Compensation: Compensation commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Send all resumes and references to: PWSC Board of Directors at [email protected]
2801 Piper Glenn Ct, Southbridge, VA 22026