Applications due 06/28/17
Recent changes within Edmonton Keyano Swim Club have provided the opportunity to review our high performance competitive programme, and we are now seeking to recruit a Head Coach based in Edmonton, who is able to lead a Club of approx. 350 swimmers with a strong high performance age group focus. This is an exciting time for the Club as we move towards stronger partnership relationships with Swim Alberta and the University of Alberta in delivering high performance swimming capabilities, and you will champion and build athlete pathways across the age groups and up to national level in addition to managing the technical swimming programme requirements of a large Club. The skills and attributes you would bring to the role include:
- Proven experience working in a high-performance sport environment;
- Demonstrated history to mentor and provide leadership to both coaches and athletes;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, a proven self-starter and an effective communicator;
- Strong collaboration and influencing skills;
- Highly effective planning and organization skills;
- Demonstrated experience in managing the technical swimming programme and coaching programme of a high performance Club; and,
- Currently hold a minimum NCCP Level 3 certification (or equivalent).
As the Head Coach, you will be directly responsible for:
- Recruiting, developing and leading the Keyano Club coaching staff. This includes overall responsibility for a coaching team of approximately 5 senior coaches and 16 assistant coaches, across multiple satellite locations around Edmonton. Mentoring other coaches and providing coaching development will be key areas of activity.
- Accountable for the technical swimming programme across all squads within Edmonton Keyano; ensuring their alignment and progress towards delivering a high performance age group swimming capability which will directly feed into the High Performance Program Initiative – North.
- Production of a technical strategic swimming plan, updated on an annual basis complete with measurable and reportable performance outcomes. This should be presented to the EKSC Board and their agreement obtained annually.
- Directly coach and be accountable for swimmers in the highest level group within the Club.
- The Head Coach will provide guidance and leadership to strategic initiatives of EKSC and work collaboratively with the EKSC Board in creating/refining the EKSC strategic plan on an annual basis, identifying areas for improvement in the plan to bring forward to annual strategic planning review sessions.
- Planning and delivering the annual/seasonal training and competition programs for all training groups, in coordination with the coaching and administrative team. This includes regular audits of these programs at all locations and performance improvement updates to members, parents and the Board.
- Working collaboratively with other staff and volunteers for the attraction, development and retention of swimmers in EKSC.
- Liaising directly with the Performance Coach for the High Performance Program Initiative – North (HPPI-N), ensuring swimming programmes are aligned; competitive pathways are clear and accessible; performance targets and results are reported regularly. The relationship between both the Performance Coach for HPPI-N and Head Coach should be a partnership approach for delivering optimal swimming capabilities for Northern Alberta.
- Visible active engagement with swimmers and parents across all levels and squads within the Club during each 12-month period. Be the visible face of the coaching staff, actively engaging with all stakeholders – members, parents, volunteers, provincial/national governing bodies and other swim clubs.
- Attending all Keyano hosted swimming competitions, Provincials and National-level competitions.
- Shared administration resources will support both this role and the Operations activities.
As the Head Coach, you should have the following experience, education and qualifications:
- 10+ years managing and leading large diverse teams;
- Level 3 coaching certification (or equivalent);
- University degree in related field of study;
- Previous head coaching experience preferred;
- Previous elite swim coaching experience.
As the Head Coach, you should demonstrate the following leadership competencies:
- Strategic orientation. He/she will have a clear view of the future direction for the Club and enable the leadership team to deliver. He/she frames strategic options for the club and is not afraid of considering ambitious, even unorthodox ideas. He/she is able to spot previously unidentified opportunities and bring creative solutions for balancing finite resources.
- Influence with Impact. He/she will be able to influence the team to achieve strategic outcomes. Actively develops internal and external partnerships/relationships on a foundation of credibility and trust. Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to influence, motivate, and develop mutually beneficial relationships and outcomes.
- Results orientation. He/she will deliver over expectations by being energized by the challenge and setting stretching goals for self and the team. He/she will exploit opportunities to exceed goals and work towards them even under adverse circumstances.
- Team leadership. He/she will empower the teams to perform, identify and solve problems, providing necessary support where needed. He/she creates a clear sense of team identity and holds teams accountable for meeting collective goals. He/she rewards individual initiatives beyond expectations to advance the common goal.
- Collaboration and influencing skills. He/she motivates others to work with self by using informal structures, dynamics and culture of the organization to get things done. He/she actively seeks input in decision making and shows others how their objectives align with own. He/she actively communicates and collaborates with the broader organisation and Partner organisations, ensuring enduring committed partnerships.
How to Apply
We are committed to diversity at EKSC, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. EKSC does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Competitive salary and benefits package will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The Head Coach will report to the President of Edmonton Keyano; and be accountable to the Edmonton Keyano Board Directors.
The Performance Coach for the High Performance Program Initiative – North referred to above is also in the process of being recruited via Swim Alberta. Please consider both positions and only apply for the one you feel you are most suitable. EKSC and Swim Alberta will be working closely together as we seek to appoint both roles during Summer 2017.
Deadline for applications for the Head Coach role: Wednesday, June 28th, 2017.
To apply, please submit a cover letter stating:
- why you believe you are suitable for the Head Coach role at Edmonton Keyano; and,
- details of your current coaching role/assignment and current remuneration package.
Also include a resume, proof of certification and two work related references; and send them to:
Edmonton Keyano Search & Selection Committee
c/o Clare Hickson, Edmonton Keyano Swimming Club
Email: [email protected]
The Search & Selection Committee reserves the right to exercise due diligence and call upon additional references to supplement those provided by the applicant. While we thank all applicants for their interest only those selected for an interview will be contacted, beyond receiving acknowledgement of receipt of your application.
Edmonton Keyano Search & Selection Committee c/o Clare Hickson, Edmonton Keyano Swimming Club