Applications due 09/30/20
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Established in 1977, Mecklenburg Aquatic Club (SwimMAC Carolina) is a nonprofit high performance competitive swim club that offers programs for people of all ages and skill levels. Dedicated to its mission of empowering young people to be champions in life through excellence in swimming, the organization has grown from a small competitive team to a premier swim institution, achieving a Gold Medal Club ranking in the USA Swimming Club Excellence Program. The organization is poised for significant growth across the region, expanding opportunities to further its core mission.
With two anchor locations across the greater Charlotte area, SwimMAC Carolina serves over 2,000 people annually through programs such as learn-to-swim for beginners, competitive age group teams, and adult Masters groups. In addition, the organization offers aquatics gear and other merchandise through its Carolina Swim Shop retail locations and Ecommerce site. SwimMAC Carolina employs more than 25 full-time employees plus a team of highly skilled part-time coaches and instructors.
For more information please visit swimmaccarolina.org.
The Head Coach reports to the Board of Directors and leads a team of competitive and instructional coaches and staff.
- Promotes and encourages a positive SwimMAC culture at all times while being an omnipresent leader, serving as a Coach of Coaches and the Head Coach for the entire competitive team.
- Serves as the primary SwimMAC coaching point of contact for competitive team coaches, the community, NC Swimming, and USA Swimming.
- Communicates the SwimMAC vision and administrative details to competitive team members and families; ensures competitive swimmers are registered with USA Swimming.
- Maintains a healthy professional relationship with the Board and collaborates on strategic planning, marketing, vision, communication, goals and fundraising endeavors.
- Collaborates with the Board on volunteer reward and recognition programs, annual club member survey, and other key initiatives.
- Prepares and presents the competitive team’s annual budget proposal in collaboration with the Executive Director; regularly reviews finances of the competitive program with the Executive Director and Finance Committee.
- Recruits, supervises, and mentors coaching and instructional staff; inspires staff to understand and employ the SwimMAC vision and mission in all aspects of their work.
- Conducts goal setting meetings, observes, and provides feedback to staff on a regular basis; plans and encourages continuing education opportunities at all levels.
- Creates and ensures implementation of a hiring orientation program for all coaches; complies and ensures club compliance with USA Swimming and SwimMAC policies (background checks, etc.).
- Requests and secures adequate pool space to run the necessary programs, practices, clinics, camps, events, and meets; coordinates with vendors and partners to establish and maintain safe environments for SwimMAC members, volunteers, and guests at SwimMAC programs, practices, clinics, camps, events, and meets.
- Oversees the maintenance of the updated competitive team roster and all meet results employing current team software.
- Passion for swimming with a proven record as a coach with 5+ years of top-level experience (AG Division HC, Club HC, or above).
- Ability to effectively assimilate into the SwimMAC culture.
- Sound technical understanding of swimming and documented high performance results verified by performance; recognized in the swimming field as an exceptional coach; believes in a process for swimmer development, committed to curriculum development.
- High integrity referenced by a favorable reputation in the swimming community.
- Highly engaged and omnipresent across locations and events; demonstrated self-awareness – knows emotions, strengths, weaknesses, drive, values, and goals; empathetic and highly relational. Head coach for all.
- Self-motivated and holds self and others to high standards, fosters a culture of accountability that rewards success and mentors for areas needing improvement.
- Highly collaborative and committed to a team atmosphere rather than individual achievement; works closely with the SwimMAC Executive Director and the Board of Directors to establish and implement the vision of SwimMAC’s competitive team.
- Innovative and brings new ideas to transform the club married with the discipline of accountability.
- Mentor; committed to the hiring and development of excellent coaches with recognition for their achievements; values the success of others.
- Maintains the following qualifications:
- Membership in the American Swim Coaches Association (ASCA);
- Membership in USA Swimming, Inc.;
- Membership in North Carolina Swimming; and
- Participation in clinics and other continuing education opportunities for purposes of learning new instruction techniques and best practices regarding swim team management.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience including a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity, and competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to Board President James Meacham: [email protected]