Applications due 07/02/22
Date posted: June 15, 2022
Location: 7171 Goodlett Farms Parkway, Cordova, TN, USA
Job Description *
Describe the position being offered in as much detail as possible. What will the candidate be doing? What will be their roles and responsibilities?
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the direction of the Executive Vice President and in collaboration with the Competitive Swim Board, the full-time Director of Competitive Aquatics & Head Coach will guide the Memphis Tigers Y Swim Team (MTYS), year-round competitive swim program by providing leadership, coaching and mentoring for student-athletes in our service area. This person will have responsibility for overall viability of the club and success of the competitive swim program.
The Memphis Tigers Swim Team is the area’s longest standing competitive swim program with over 50 years of competitive swimming excellence, including 5 Olympians.
MTYS has approximately 200 swimmers and utilizes multiple YMCA pools. The coach will have a once in a lifetime opportunity to coach in a newly renovated, state of the art Mike Rose Aquatics Center located at the University of Memphis. The Mike Rose Aquatics Center is scheduled to open the fall of 2022.
1) Responsible for all levels of swimming in MTYS program, including:
- a) Direct coaching duties for the Senior Group.
- b) Ensure self-sustaining and growing developmental and age group base within the organization.
- c) Design or oversee training plans for all training groups.
- d) Oversee seasonal progression of athletes and monitor phases of development of individual swimmers.
2) Establishes clear team culture and safe environment that fosters positive team attitudes, encourages self-discipline and sportsmanship, and supports competitive excellence.
3) Responsible for growing and retaining membership for the team.
4) Set workout schedules, workout groups, and criteria for advancement from group to group for the entire program.
5) Plan each season’s meet and travel schedule consistent with the needs of the team, individual training groups, and athletes.
6) Responsible for “Team Travel” arrangements.
7) Responsible for securing meets and for the operations of hosting meets, to include, the necessary staff and volunteers for all scheduled swim meets and practices.
8) Facilitate individual age-appropriate goal setting processes with all swimmers.
9) Facilitate progress toward USA Swimming Club Recognition and Club Excellence Goals.
10) Assures compliance with state, local, and YMCA policies and regulations. Monitors daily operations to adhere to all YMCA health and safety standards and policies.
11) Establishes new program activities and expands competitive swim programs within the community in alignment with the YMCA’s Strategic Plan and Operating Plan.
12) Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
1) Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs swim team personnel and volunteers. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
2) Plan and direct staff meetings.
3) Provide annual staff development goals and sets training calendar to ensure progression by all coaching staff.
4) Responsible for ensuring appropriate placement of staff within club programs and for educating, supervising, and mentoring all staff members.
5) Ensure healthy coach/athlete relationships and follows all child abuse prevention policies and procedures.
6) Provide formal written performance appraisals for staff on an annual basis that highlight both individual strengths and development opportunities.
1) Develops and maintains strong relationships with the Competitive Swim Board. Serves as staff liaison for the Competitive Swim Board and any subcommittees with support from other coaching staff and YMCA leadership.
2) Administer and enforce YMCA and team policies and procedures with general membership and coaching staff.
3) Participate and be a contributing presence within Southeastern LSC.
4) Oversees and communicates the disbursement of meet information, posting of meet results, meet publicity, team travel information, team records and team roster in coordination with the team admin.
5) Maintain daily attendance for all training groups.
6) Responsible for marketing and fundraising efforts of MTYS working with the marketing team
7) Maintains regular and timely communications with supervisor, other Y employees, parents, coaches, volunteers or other community members and organizations.
8) Assists in the development and monitoring of program budget to meet fiscal objectives and takes appropriate action to correct variances.
9) Completes all weekly and monthly paperwork in accordance with YMCA policy.
10) Purchases and maintains equipment, parts and supplies as needed. Coordinates and schedules equipment maintenance and repairs.
11) Assists in Swim Team/YMCA fundraising activities and special events.
12) Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in a directly related field or an equivalent combination of directly related experience, training, and/or education.
- At least 5 years’ experience coaching competitive swimming with proven coaching record with excellent swimmer progression/results (head coaching experience preferred)
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Requirements upon date of hire include completion of: Child Abuse Prevention trainings; Lifeguarding or Safety Training for Swim Coaches; CPR; First Aid; AED; Bloodborne
- ASCA Level 4 or higher preferred Completion; must be a member of USA Swimming; program-specific training and certifications including, USA Swimming Athlete
Protection training and American Swim Coaches.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Ability to work harmoniously with the YMCA, Competitive Swim Board, and other volunteers.
- Experience in management and development of volunteer involvement; ability to recruit top community leaders.
- Able to perform administrative functions and integrate technology with these functions- Must be able to use Microsoft Suite. Prefer a working knowledge of Team Unify.
The schedule for this full-time position is generally Monday through Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm, though overtime, evenings, and weekend work may be required depending on the business need.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to supervise program activities.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting as well as correctly demonstrating proper form of exercises.
How to Apply
Click on the link below and select “Apply Now” at the bottom of the page.
7171 Goodlett Farms Parkway
Cordova, TN 38016
phone: 901-766-7677, extension 4526