Applications due 04/16/21
Date posted: April 12, 2021
Location: 2 Green Street, Somerville, NJ, USA
Greater Somerset County YMCA (GSCY) is a local nonprofit committed to strengthening community by connecting all people to their potential, purpose and each other. At GSCY, we focus on empowering young people, improving health and well-being, and inspiring action in and across communities. By bringing together people from different backgrounds, perspectives and generations, we ensure that we all have access to the opportunities, relationships and resources necessary to learn, grow and thrive.
To learn more about GSCY, visit our website: http://gscymca.org
Reporting to the Branch Executive Director the primary function of the Associate Aquatics Director is the coordination and day to day supervision of the Lifeguard, Swim/Aqua Ex Instructor and Deck Supervisor staff which includes training/certification, skill assessment, hiring, supervision, and scheduling for our Somerville and Bridgewater YMCA locations. An additional key responsibility is to act as the leader/first responder in the event of an Emergency, either accidental or facility related, in the Aquatics Department. Secondary responsibilities include daily pool maintenance and shutdown cleaning scheduling and conduction. Evening and weekend hours required.
- Responsible for serving as the direct supervisor for all Deck Supervisors, Swim/Aqua Ex Instructors and Lifeguards in conjunction with, or in the absence of the Branch Executive Director.
- Assist in the recruitment, hiring, training, development and evaluation of Aquatics program staff.
- Coordinate and schedule private swim lessons, group swim lessons, water exercise classes, open lane swim and pool rentals.
- Responsible for training all Aquatics staff on emergency response and opening and closing procedures, Blood Borne Pathogen/HAZMAT, and Child Abuse Prevention Training.
- Teach swim lessons, water exercise, swim instructor and LGI trainings and other aquatic classes as needed.
- Responsible for coverage of all assigned lifeguard and/or swim instructor shifts.
- Responsible for planning and conducting monthly in-service trainings for Aquatics staff who hold Lifeguard certification.
- Responsible for running YMCA and American Red Cross certification or re-certification classes for current staff and membership population.
- Responsible for maintaining certification records.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- BS in Recreation, Physical Education, or a related field.
- Current knowledge of all required aquatics training and certifications to include American Red Cross or American Heart Assoc. Lifeguard Instructor or must be able to obtain.
- Position requires a strong background in Lifeguard responsibilities and procedures with a minimum of five (5) years as a Lifeguard and/or Swim/Aqua Ex Instructor.
- Minimum one year as a Deck Supervisor preferably in a multiple-pool and/or water play feature facility.
- Excellent organizational, member engagement, staff development, administrative and communication skills
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Has solid working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel
- Pool Operator certification a plus.
Greater Somerset County YMCA offers the following employee benefits for our full-time employees:
- Competitive salaries
- Reduced program fees / school-aged child care
- Access to one of the leading retirement programs “Y Retirement Fund” with a 12% company contribution to fund after eligibility period.
- Paid time off
- Community volunteering opportunities
- Subsidized medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 100% contribution towards life insurance and long term disability
- Optional life insurance and dependent life insurance available at low rates
- Complimentary Family Membership with access to five association locations and to over 2,500 YMCA locations nationwide
Greater Somerset County YMCA is a drug free work environment. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information who share our values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.