Location: 660 Community Drive, Estes Park, CO, USA
Department: Estes Valley Community Center (EVCC) Aquatics
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Pay Range: $46,000- $69,000
Supervisor: Operations Manager at the EVCC
This position will coordinate and manage the daily operations of the Estes Valley Community Center’s (EVCC) aquatics area. This includes oversight of all aquatics programming as well as the hiring, training, scheduling, and supervising of aquatics staff. Position provides pool, lifeguard, and water safety instructor training programs. Interface with various community organizations in order to promote new and continued use of applicable aquatics recreational facilities. This position’s work schedule is variable depending on season and needs of the facility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, direct, schedule, organize and manage the daily operations of the aquatics area.
- Complete and maintain a variety of reports, forms, files, and other records as required in an accurate and timely manner, i.e., daily records of water chemistry, attendance, and cleaning.
- Operate and maintain the pool and pool deck equipment.
- Conduct daily walk-through of aquatics area to ensure appropriate appearance, and document needed repairs and maintenance.
- Coordinate routine maintenance of pool area, and monitor and maintain water chemistry to state codes.
- Conduct in-service training programs to ensure compliance with certification requirements, and maintain certification requirements of aquatics staff.
- Research, identify, coordinate, and schedule use of aquatics facilities with Manager of Community Center Operations and applicable staff.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of goals and objectives for aquatics services and programs based on the concept of recreational growth and improvement within the District.
- Evaluate programs to effectively meet community needs and to ensure maximum utilization of staff, resources and equipment.
- Adhere to local, state and Federal law as relating to functional areas of responsibilities, and implement approved district policies and procedures.
- Conduct needs assessments to determine needs and desires of the public as it relates to aquatics programs, and develop and design new innovative programs.
- Prepare analytical and statistical reports on operations and activities in aquatics recreation.
- Maintain accurate inventory of first aid, chemical, operating, and aquatics program supplies, and coordinate ordering of supplies and equipment for aquatics area.
- Design, develop and implement a variety of aquatics programs, leisure activities, and special events; oversee and participate in activities.
- Interface with the local community, schools and parents in order to achieve defined goals.
- Schedule, coordinate, conduct and maintain certification classes as needed, including, but not limited to, lifeguard, first aid/CPR/AED, and water instructor training.
- Recruit, hire, train, motivate and evaluate aquatic staff, provide or coordinate staff trainings, work with employees to correct deficiencies, and implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Schedule aquatics area staff and volunteers.
- Assist in the timely and fair completion of annual performance reviews for full-time staff.
- Conduct aquatic staff safety training meetings.
- Review and approve all entries in staff time and payroll database.
- Ensure staff maintains proper certifications.
- Participate in the preparation and administration of the Community Center Aquatics budget, and submit budget recommendations to the Manager of Community Center Operations.
- Effectively notify community and staff in the event of pool closing/shut-down.
- Complete required reports and records including incidents, accidents, theft, vandalism, daily attendance and daily logs.
- Perform regular safety inspections of pools and equipment to reduce hazards and to provide maximum safety to patrons.
- Attend and participate in professional meetings, and stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the fields of aquatics.
- Serve as head guard or swim instructor as needed.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
- Operations, management, scheduling, programming and other services and activities of an aquatics facility.
- Water chemistry principles as they apply to maintaining a pool, including chemical controllers (Strantrol; Chemtrol), chemical feeders (chlorine accutab); mechanical/pump room systems and filtration, chemical testing units (Taylor test kit; Palintest), pressure washers, pool chemicals (muriatic acid, calcium hypochlorite, CO2, sodium bicarbonate), electrical panels.
- Design, develop and implement aquatics programs, and knowledge of materials used in aquatics center programming and applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, supervisory, organizational, financial, and public relations skills.
- Modern and complex principles and practices of aquatics-based recreation services.
- Comprehensive and concise knowledge of EVRPD’s policies and procedures, and ability to interpret and explain District policies and procedures to staff and guests.
- Possess a highly defined focus toward both internal and external guest service.
- Fundamental management, administration, budgeting, purchasing, personnel and financial skills necessary to effectively manage the facilities.
- Operate office equipment; computer and relevant e-trak software programs, phone, copier, etc.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, and interact on a regular basis with the community and especially all stakeholders who participate in the provided programs and use of the aquatics facilities.
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Ability to effectively manage a young and diverse staff.
- Plan, organize, prioritize, coordinate, assign and evaluate the work of subordinate personnel.
- Ability to perform the EVCC Emergency Action Plan.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations relating to the functional areas of responsibility.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in Recreation Administration, Human Development, Physical Education, Gerontology, Health and Exercise Sciences or related fields; and one to two years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. One to Two Years Aquatics Experience and One Year Supervisory experience.
- Three (3) years of experience in an Aquatics recreation environment, including two (2) years of supervisory or lead responsibility.
- Experience with managing swim teams and coaching.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
- LGI certification, and WSI certification or WSI equivalent.
- CPR, First Aid, and AED certification or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire.
- CPO (Certified Pool Operator) or AFO (Aquatics Facility Operator) Certified or be able to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Majority of work is performed indoors in a hot and humid environment with moderate to loud noise and frequent interruptions.
- Work in and around water and slippery surfaces with exposure to fumes and hazardous chemicals.
- Occasionally work near moving mechanical parts and pool mechanical systems.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with arms and hands, and use hands to grasp, handle, or feel.
- Regularly required to bend, stoop, stretch, carry, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- Must be able to lift, push and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to swim and perform life-saving skills/CPR.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Acceptable hearing to communicate effectively with others.
- Acceptable verbal and conversation skills to effectively communicate with others via the phone, at meetings and to greet and assist visitors.
This position is subject to EVRPD’s pre-employment screening requirements including, but not limited to:
- Criminal, National Sex Offender, and Motor Vehicle background checks, and a pre-employment medical examination/physical.
How to Apply
Apply online: https://cssevrpd.sentrichr.com/#Sm9iT3BlbmluZ3N8fA==