Fishers, Indiana diver Cole VanDevender signed an NLI to dive for Indiana University in the fall. He will join Andrew Couchon, Ben McDade, Brandon Hamblin, Jack Franzman, Michael Brinegar, Michael Draves, Mikey Calvillo, Paul Gabhart, Zach Cook, and Zane Backes in the Hoosiers’ class of 2022.
“I chose IU because the competitiveness and diving tradition there is unparalleled.”
VanDevender is a senior at Fishers High School. He dives for his high school and for Fishers Diving and is a two-time NISCA All-American. He finished third on the 1-meter springboard at the 2018 IHSAA Boys Swimming/Diving Championship in February, helping Fishers achieve 8th place in the overall team standings. VanDevender was runner-up as a junior in an emotional final just days after his brother suffered severe burns in a fire. He was 8th as a sophomore at the 2016 state meet. A month later, he fractured his L5 vertebrae during a platform entry and spent the next four months in a back brace.
VanDevender’s mother dove at Ball State under coach John Wingfield, who later coached four-time Olympic medalist David Boudia, the diver who inspired Cole’s entry into the sport.
- 2017 NISCA/Speedo All American
- 2017 AAU R/W/B National Champion- 1m & 3m
- 2017 IHSAA State Championships-Runner Up
- 2017 Hoosier Crossroads Conference Champion (new pool and school records)
- 2016 Indiana High School Athletic Association State Medalist-8th Place
- 2015 Indiana High School Athletic Association State Finalist-10th Place
- Fishers High School Wall of Fame
- 2016 NISCA/Speedo All American
If you have a commitment to report, please send an email with a photo (landscape, or horizontal, looks best) and a quote to [email protected].