2021 U.S. OLYMPIC SWIMMING TRIALS
- Wave I Dates: June 4-7, 2021
- Wave II Dates: June 13-20, 2021
- Prelims: 10am CDT | Finals: 7pm CDT (8PM finals on Friday & Saturday)
- Where: CHI Health Center / Omaha, Nebraska
- 2021 U.S. Olympic Trials Qualifying Cuts
- Wave I & II Event Order
- LCM (50m)
- Day 6 Finals Live Stream
- Psych Sheets
- Wave II Live Results
- Day 6 Finals Heat Sheet
Reported by James Sutherland.
MEN’S 200 BACK FINAL
- World Record: Aaron Peirsol (USA) – 1:51.92 (2009)
- American Record: Aaron Peirsol – 1:51.92 (2009)
- US Open Record: Aaron Peirsol (USA) – 1:53.08 (2009)
- World Junior Record: Kliment Kolesnikov (RUS) – 1:55.14 (2017)
- 2016 Olympic Champion: Ryan Murphy (USA) – 1:53.62
- 2016 US Olympic Trials Champion: Ryan Murphy – 1:53.95
- Wave I Cut: 2:02.99
- Wave II Cut: 2:00.81
- FINA ‘A’ Cut: 1:57.50
Ryan Murphy took control of the men’s 200 back final from the get-go and the win was never in doubt, as the defending Olympic champion touched first in a time of 1:54.20.
Murphy moves into second in the world rankings this season, and posts his fastest swim since the 2019 World Championships. It’s his seventh-fastest ever, having been sub-1:54 three occasions.
Mefford came back in 29.46, the fastest in the field, to take second in 1:54.79, a massive best time and also the second consecutive 1-2 finish at Trials for Cal swimmers in this event. Mefford entered the meet with a 2019 best of 1:57.39, and then brought that down to 1:56.57 in the semis before this showing.
The 22-year-old is now the eighth-fastest American of all-time.