2017 U.S. NATIONALS/WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS TRIALS
- Tuesday, June 27th-Saturday, July 1st
- 50-Meter Course
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- Meet Info
- Prelims timelines
- Broadcast schedule
- Event-by-event previews
- Psych Sheets
- Live Results
- Live Stream (U.S. viewers)
- Live Stream (International viewers)
- Saturday Prelims/Distance Heat Sheet
True swimming fans would never think to miss a session of the 2017 U.S. National Championships and World Championship Trials in Indy this weekend, but you especially shouldn’t skip out on distance this afternoon. Rio Olympian and our favorite to win the event (given Katie Ledecky‘s scratch) Leah Smith will be swimming in the afternoon heats of the 1500 freestyle, scheduled to start at 4:30 pm ET.
Smith has not swam the 1500 freestyle LCM since Summer Nationals in 2014, where she went a 16:27.37. She is seeded according to her 1650 yards time, an NCAA silver-medal 15:28.89.
Here are a few important times to keep in mind as Smith is swimming this afternoon:
- Lotte Friis (2nd-best performer all-time) – 15:38.88
- Kate Ziegler (previous AR/WR holder before Ledecky) – 15:42.54
- Janet Evans (AR/WR holder for nearly 20 years before Ziegler) – 15:52.10
Smith has already qualified for the team in the 200 free, 400 free, 800 free, 400 IM, and 4×200 free relay. She is currently tied with Katie Ledecky and Caeleb Dressel for the tightest Worlds schedule, with five events.