2017 Indiana Swimming LSC Senior Champs
The post-graduate group at the Indiana University is growing. The latest additions are 2017 SEC Champion Ashley Neidigh, who came after the World Championship Trials, and former Pan Am medalist Amanda Kendall, who came with Coley Stickels – her former coach who was recently hired as the program’s new associate head coach.
Besides those two, that group includes Zane Grothe, Cody Miller, and Egyptian Marwan El-Kamash. The latter three are all in Budapest preparing to race at the World Championships that start on Sunday.
Neidigh and Kendall, however, are at the Indiana LSC Senior Champs, and both swam on Thursday.
Kendall was the first of the two to race, placing 2nd in the 50 free with a 25.64. That put her behind 16-year old MAKO swimmer Anya Goeders, who won in 25.14. Goeders, a Stanford commit, Goeders’ best time of 24.85 makes her the second-fastest 15-16 in U.S. history already (behind only Simone Manuel).
Neidigh then came back in finals and won the 800 free in 8:41.21, which broke Stephanie Marchuk’s Meet Record of 8:44.57 by 3 seconds. That time is the second-fastest of Neidigh’s career, just a second behind her swim from Worlds Trials in June.
Other Day 1 Winners:
- Boilermaker Aquatics, a Purdue University group, won the women’ss 200 medley relay in 1:55.63. Anchor Courtney Kresl split 26.15 on the anchor to hold off Indiana anchor Delaney Barnard.
- Indiana won the men’s 200 medley relay in 1:41.19, with Lanza’s 23.51 fly split and Ian Finnerty‘s 27.57 breaststroke split standing out. Purdue got a 23.12 anchor from James Boone but finished 2nd.
- Indiana won the women’s 200 free relay in 1:45.31. The juniors from Carmel took 2nd in 1:45.34, including a 26.14 leadoff from Kelly Pash.
- Boilermaker Aquatics (Purdue) picked up a men’s 200 free relay win in 1:33.85. They were a second ahead of Indiana’s 1:34.82. Carmel took 3rd in 1:34.91.
Team Scores After Day 1
Men’s Top 5:
- Indiana Swim Team – 235
- Carmel Swim Club – 210
- Fort Wayne Swim Team – 157.5
- Boilermaker Aquatics – 151
- Zionsville Swim Club – 108
Women’s Top 5:
- Carmel Swim Club – 325
- Indiana Swim Team – 270
- Boilermaker Aquatics – 126
- Fishers Area Swimming Tigers – 108
- Fort Wayne Swim Team – 107