Date posted: July 23, 2021
Location: 570 East McKinley Street, Chambersburg, PA, USA
Under the direction of the Senior Program Director and Executive Director, in cooperation with the Membership and Program Services Committee, and consistent with the Mission of the YMCA, the Swim Team Head Coach will be primarily responsible for coaching and managing the competitive aquatic team and related operations within the Chambersburg Y in accordance with the goals, purposes and policies of this Association.
- Three years of aquatic experience as a competitive swimmer or aquatic instructor
- Two years coaching experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of competitive aquatics in YMCA and USA Swimming
- Ability to positively lead, communicate, instruct, inspire, and motivate swimmers of all ages
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people
- Plan, organize, and develop the swim team program. Plan, attend, and direct team practices as scheduled and within the guidelines set by the Aquatics Director. The coach must be accessible to all levels of swimmers.
- Ensure the safety of participants at all times.
- Recruit, hire, develop, and train assistant coaches. Mentor and supervise the assistant coaches to meet program and safety objectives, and to build a positive team culture that promotes individual growth and team building.
- Relate to the individual swimmers on a personal basis at practice, at meets, and through goal setting, instruction, and positive encouragement.
- Analyze performance and instruct athletes in skills, techniques and strategies in preparation for competition and during contests.
- Work with the CYCAPA Parent Committee to recruit and manage volunteers.
- Develops and monitors departmental budget to meet fiscal objectives. Compiles program statistics.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in programs.
- Other duties as assigned by the Aquatics Director, which may include but is not limited to, lifeguarding and assisting with instructing swim lessons as needed.
- YMCA of USA Principles of Competitive Swimming & Diving
- Current American Red Cross or YMCA of the USA Lifeguard Certification
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer for Lifeguards
- First Aid
- Mandated Reporter training
- Required for coaching deck pass for district and national swim meets
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths, and limitations, and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well. Uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
How to Apply
Email resume to Carla Christian at [email protected]
570 East McKinley St, Chambrsburg, PA 17201